Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ebay bar cover

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
why strip right back to the plastic? that is quite unnecessary and more likely to do more harm than good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The paint on mine was bad and it needed taking right back. To fix it it would have been mass feathering out and in and around the mounting points it was sketchy as.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
The paint on mine was bad and it needed taking right back. To fix it it would have been mass feathering out and in and around the mounting points it was sketchy as.

ok fair enough.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have got the bar cover pretty well stripped. There is still some patches of primer that the stripper won't lift. I went through a whole litre and have another litre but I am reluctant to open a fresh can just to try and get the last little bit off. I probably need to wet rub it now. Anyone know what grade would be the go? I have thought about getting some 320 and putting it on the finishing sander for the broad areas. The sander won't leave scratches, whereas I think 320 hand rubbed probably will? Either way I think I have 2hrs of sanding ahead of me, I don't think is any other way to get it good enough for primer.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
why strip right back to the plastic? that is quite unnecessary and more likely to do more harm than good.

And that's why after a few years so many paint jobs turn to shite. Reactions between different brands and types of paint conflicting with each other.

Ask yourself the question, why do good quality restorers strip cars "completely" back to bare metal ?

Also when restoring furniture why does one strip the finish right back to bare timber ??

Your statement just confirms how lazy so-called tradesman are in this country, mediocrity seems to run the world nowadays.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your statement just confirms how lazy so-called tradesman are in this country, mediocrity seems to run the world nowadays.

um ok.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How do you come to that conclusion ???

I've noticed that the sander can use fairly course paper and not scratch, or more so very fine scatches but hand sanding nearly always leaves deep marks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How do you come to that conclusion ???
Used the finishing sander on the bar cover this eve. 280 grit white paper and no scratches. I had to use my hand and some 320 wet n dry and water to get into the areas that the sander couldn't reach. It's came up pretty good. It needs a bit of welding in two tiny spots, where it mounts. I still have a couple of spots I'm struggling to get the paint off. The paint is really hard, and where it attaches at the top I am probably going to need some paint stripper and some steel wool.
20201020_191119_resized.jpg

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes it's amazing how hard the paint actually gets on these bars if it's still the original paint, especially white.