Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eBay Radiator

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
the rad tech reckons the eBay gear is junk.

"eBay gear" isn't a thing or necessarily junk.

eBay doesn't sell anything, it is merely a platform for others to sell their, or someone else's, wares.

It is tantamount to saying that PWR radiators are junk coz PWR sell on eBay.

It all comes down to the particular product in question and its quality compared to other offerings.

Whether the one you linked is any good or not, I don't know. Having said that, the seller seems to be reasonably well rated and the product has 3 5 star ratings for what its worth.

However I have been lead to believe that combining an aluminium radiator with a cast iron block can lead to problems.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
However I have been lead to believe that combining an aluminium radiator with a cast iron block can lead to problems.

Current rad I have is ali but with plastic tanks. Would the full ali be the difference between prob and no prob?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Aren't modern corrosion inhibitors designed to prevent electrolysis between aluminium and ferrous metals in engines? Most modern engines have at least some all or components such as water pumps and thermo housings so I would have thought the correct inhibitor would mean an all alloy radiator was fine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I am trying to decipher Google posts on other forums about electrolysis. Some say it needs a ground, others say the corrosion inhibiter takes care of it. Some are saying run straight water.??? Rad tech told me to use 1/3 mix instead of 50/50 as it will help with transferring heat better. I understand that, but then with a cheap rad would it cause faster corrosion? What does seem critical is keeping the fluid from becoming acidic.
I guess the issue of the rad wearing out for me is only a real problem if the coolant leaks into the trans, I definitely don't want that.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Minerals in tap water enable electrolysis.

Those radiators are okay, but I’d stick with the plastic tank versions as they’re a direct replacement and your existing shroud and cooler lines will bolt straight up. I’ve putchased 6+ of the cheap $70-120 ebay rads and have had no issues over a number of years. Got one in my hj, vx, vy and vs now and no issues.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My son in law bought a cheap ebay radiator for his VX....12 months later, it sprung a leak....Or more to the point, started gushing water out.....

So it might have been a dud, I can't say....Just throwing it out there

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

I totally agree with EYY.

I purchased the following one with the "Make Offer" feature for $80 delivered to my door..........

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-N...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

For $80 delivered within 2 days I can't complain at all and these radiators come with the 2 sets of trans connectors that are used.

Also one thing to consider is that these units utilise the smaller fingers that crimp the tanks to the core opposed to earlier cheap ones that had finger over twice the size and they are weaker and in time lose pressure, thus one day you'll find large amounts of coolant under the car like what happened to my wife on the day that I was in hospital for a triple hernia operation. That certainly wasn't fun for all who pitched in to help us out while I was under.

At this stage I've had absolutely no issues with this radiator and if you're using a good quality coolant like the AC Delco concentrate or Tectaloy V-plus etc. You'll have no issues whatsoever.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I guess the issue of the rad wearing out for me is only a real problem if the coolant leaks into the trans, I definitely don't want that.

With all the upgrades you have done to your old bus, I am very surprised you haven't fitted a seperate trans cooler....To me, that's one of the best things to fit, especially if you are towing......And saves the dreaded coolant into the rad trans cooler

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a trans cooler fitted by the trans tech. However on the VR auto you need it running through the rad regardless. You need a massive cooler if you try to deal away with the rad cooler as they will run too hot without going through the rad tank first. Then you have another issue with the trans not coming up to temp as it needs to quick enough.