Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eBay Radiator

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yes over cooling can be just as bad as over heating as everything within the computer is programmed to function at a certain temperature and if it doesn't then it tries to make adjustments so that the engine and trans will work within the required parameters.

Thus running a too lower thermostat is not healthy for the engine and over cooling of the transmission itself isn't good either.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been sussing eBay rads for the last 30mins. I have another question what is better a 2 row or 3 row? I have read online people saying 3 row is the go, but others are saying a 2 row is the go as the tubes are bigger and allow more airflow? Basically the OD and thickness of the rad is all the same with the variance seeming to be the number of tubes. But from reading online, more tubes don't necessarily mean more efficiency, unless the size of the rad increases? Am I right in thinking a 2 core would be better as it allows more airflow? Being an eBay rad I won't get an answer on the tube thickness as these sellers are all probably selling from a generic store in China that sells a million and one things.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
2 row is factory and more than adequate.

Consider this:
Holden released the vn-vsii 304's with the brass/copper cored 3 row radiator. The late s2 and s3 came with the alloy cored radiator with plastic tanks, but only 2 rows, and they cooled just as efficiently as earlier models.

I've seen expensive radiators ($400+) that coincidentally have the same markings/numbers etc that the $80 ones do. Seems that most suppliers buy the generic part, and then add a 'supplier part number' which is the only thing that differentiates them. Makes things difficult and confusing when you're searching for and comparing radiators.

The alloy ones are okay too, I bought one for the HJ and it's good. Very happy with it, although mounting points arent always spot on (they're always close enough to make them work) and some of the welds aren't so aesthetically pleasing. Great value for money though. If money was no object, race radiators would be my pick.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks EYY, 2 core it is. Only 5 bucks cheaper but I am thinking it will have better airflow? Which consequently I think may be a slight problem with my current one, seems to run a tad hotter under heavy load since I had the trans cooler fitted.
Although it may also be too much glycol ratio as I have drained the system and collected the old coolant four or five times repairing the cooling system over the last two years, and I added more coolant to the mix each time, because obviously you lose some each time it's drained and lose some more straining it.
Current rad is of an unknown age and has a slight bend where the ute has obviously hit a roo or something before I bought it.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
So Losh........ are you thinking of purchasing the one I gave the link to ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I missed that. I have actually put an offer in on a full ali one (2 core). I have offered $125 but will go as high a $135. I like the look of the full ali one. Won't matter about the trans lines as mine are rubber at the rad anyway. The one I am looking at is a Worley, same brand as the one in the link.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/52mm-2-ROW-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-VN-VG-VP-VR-VS-V6-3-8L-ALLOY-ALUMINIUM-RADIATOR/152995613620?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

Also deciding what to do about the heater core. It would be nice to swap it out and see if I can get the heater working better with a new core. Just exi even on eBay. Wondering if it would be cheaper and still affective to get a SH one and have it rodded out?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Seller made a counter of $140, I countered that with $130 lol

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd still go plastic tanked version... more chance of the trans cooler being made correctly as they're a totally separate part in the plastic tanked ones.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Damn I have made the offer now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think the ali one should still be good, I hope. I have found over the last few years that Chinese manufacturers seems to have really lifted their game on a lot of products. Hoping since the Worley plastic tank jobs are pretty good that this will translate across the range.