Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eBay recommendations for OBD2 scanner

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
As title suggests, I want to buy a cheap scanner. Not fussed whether it's an all-in-one unit with a screen or one that works wirelessly through a device/app, just want one that works great and easy to use.

Cheers!

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I've found the cheap scanners are very limited in what they are capable of
Some of them that mates have bought haven't even been able to communicate with their vehicles

Plenty of members are using the Envyous Customs diagnostic software and are happy with it

I know you wanted something cheap, but I'll go off track here momentarily....
I've got a MaxiDiag Elite MD802 made by Autel
It covers a massive variety of vehicle, not just Commodores
I reckon it's a great scan tool, it does everything I want and has communicated with every vehicle it's been plugged into so far
It'll set you back around $400 direct from Autel, but it's worth every cent in my book

Link to the Autel Website
http://www.autel.com.au/products/scan-tool/maxidiag-elite-md802/

You can also find them for sale on Ebay cheaper than the Autel website....
But beware of imitations, I've heard stories about some of them being loaded with Chevrolet software and not Holden software

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Plenty of members are using the Envyous Customs diagnostic software and are happy with it.

x2 great product, easy to use and gives you more than just the ability to read and clear codes. EC's program allows you to easily read engine and trans data allowing you to diagnose issues that codes do not pick up on. If you get a EC package buy it from his site as you will get a better deal. I bought mine off eBay and had to buy the good EC's software separately, had I known the former I would have purchased off his site direct.

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
I got the Autometer OBD2 w/DashLink

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
I got the elcheapo blue one off eBay. Works in my ve Calais. Just found a free app that worked on App Store.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Thanks gents.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Please let us know what you get mate

Ve6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
I tried the el cheapo Bluetooth elm327 off eBay but they don’t work with iPhones even if the advert says they do. Tried a wifi unit from alltech, because it’s wifi seems to work fine with iPhone, laptop etc I use autodoctor app. Basic but good enough for reading codes and reset check engine lights etc. also let’s you see the freeze frame data from when the Check engine light is set. Delivered in 3 business days.
http://www.alltech.com.au/en/vehicl...i-car-engine-diagnostic-code-reader-scan.html

Ve6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Also don’t plug the unit in while the ignition is on. Always always turn the car off, plug it in, then turn on ignition. Plugging in while the ignition is on or car is running can do very bad things.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Running a cheap eBay ELM327, bluetoothed to an old ipod, with the app Car Scanner. Pretty damn good.