Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ebay Turbo difference T3/T4 TO4E

RB30E+T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais
Hi guys,
I am currently getting all the parts together for a RB30E+T conversion but am a little lost to the turbo/dump pipe fitment. I am planning to buy a stock vlt dump pipe as it has the thread already there for the o2 sensor. My question is: will the stock turbo dump fit onto an ebay turbo & should I use one with a internal wastegate or external? Here is a couple of pics of the stock 5 bolt t3/t4 to4e turbo & the stock VLT Turbo dump.

Attachments

• t04eturbo0001.JPG
    t04eturbo0001.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 3,255
  • p1020572ii.jpg
    p1020572ii.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2,629

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
i bought a whole kit off ebay a fw years back it was the hi rise manifold, turbo flange for an external gate,, went hard and was brillant really it came with a dump pipe n all i had to by was a gate

RB30E+T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais
Niice, it's good to hear that you had luck on your side with your "ebay turbo" experience. The setup that I am going to get is in the attached photos but I will need to have the o2 sensor housing welded onto the dump pipe.
Any ideas on whether the combination of parts will work together and fit?

Attachments

• DP-5B-T3T4.jpg
    DP-5B-T3T4.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 842
  • t04eturbo0001.JPG
    t04eturbo0001.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 476
  • rb30t350mm.jpg
    rb30t350mm.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,325
  • TWG50-L2.jpg
    TWG50-L2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 617

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Hey man i have this turbo as well t3/t4 T04e... Has been on over 12 months and loving it at 10.5 Psi... mine came with an exhaust Flange so i went to an exhaust shop and got a piece of 3" mandrel Bent pipe and welded the flange myself. Try and Go 3" pipe not 2.5. As for the O2 Sensor thread. Mate all it is is a Nut welded onto the exhaust
I have the same High-rise manifold as well but the external Gate provision was different so i welded on the flange for the wastegate and i shortened it.. all good. :p
Goodluck man.

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
mine ran 18 for 3 years and was thrashed,,,,very rarely did the turbo timer get used (2 mayb 3 times a day) as i was lazy or in a rush at time....its still goin now just the car is off the road

RB30E+T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais
18psi for 3 years?? I would be more than happy with that!! OK, I have decided to get the turbo but with a few little extra goodies. The one I have been looking at getting comes with the 5 bolt flange, gaskets & all the oil lines with built-in restrictors to prevent excess oil pressure blowing the seals out prematurely. Her is a link to the turbo: T3 T4 T04E Turbocharger .63 A/R Turbo + Oil Line Flange - eBay (item 290499603244 end time Mar-12-11 17:30:55 PST)
BTW - Which ebay seller did you get your turbos through. Obviously whoever it was, they are selling the good ones!!

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
lol two people sey theregreat and your sold on them lol.

do a search on google or go on calaisturbo.com.au and search for that crap

RB30E+T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais
yeah, I did a search on google the other day & there seems to be mixed results. some last 5 minutes, some last a couple of months and some last a few years. For the price, it's a chance that I'm willing to take. It seems the most dodgey ones were the early xs power & ss auto chrome ones. To be honest, I don't have high hopes for the turbo and if it stuffs up, then it's my own fault for being a cheapskate. But if it does hold together then I'm a happy camper. I wasn't sold on them because of the last few posts from people saying that "there great", I had chosen to go this way before today.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
i have read that as well
On a few cases yeah there was some poorly molded comp housings as well.
and had a bad rep for not being balanced properly...
And i also bet ppl would have tried to pump 30+ with them.. and smash their motor.
check if the exhaust nut has been ground at all then u will know if it has been balanced.
As long as u have sufficient oil drain pipe size (Dia) then u wont need a restrictor.
In all honesty stick to a standard VLT setup.
Goodluck man.