Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECM/BCM issues

radbeck

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My 2005 VZ has just started playing up with the low fuel, contact dealer problem, where it doesnt start. I have read heaps about this and I have worked out the ECM is faulty by swapping kit from one car to another. I've temporarily installed a switch to bridge the start relay so I can get going.

I've got access to another set of ECM/BCM etc from a wreck but the wreck no longer has the key/remote. Is there anyway to get another key remote programmed to work with the kit out of the wreck. Can one of the shopping mall key programmers program a remote if I have the rego details VIN etc?

Any help much apprecited.

Many thanks

radbeck

Reaction score
Holden tell me I need to take it all into them and they will re program everything then give me a new key. They say the second hand ECM/BCM may not be any good so they would look at replacing it anyway. I didnt ask how much but obviously for many $$. The ECM alone will be around $750 just for the part.

They tell me that the vin will give access to the Key code and security codes etc. Do I need any more info to get a key remote programmed?

Anyone know anything about this?

cheers guys

D

Don123

there's a new update program for all these "fuel gauge error contact dealer" etc etc problems, contact your Holden dealer. it takes about 30 minutes to do.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Hi mate, just go to your Holden spare parts counter with your VIN and ask for a trace code printout. They might charge you $15.00 or so for it, but ask for the full printout. It will look like the sample attached. You will all the codes needed like BCM code, etc as well.

You need the IK code for ignition key, then if you have an ecu and bcm etc from the same model car and engine code it should just be a straight swap over from memory.

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
I had this exact same thing happen to my VZ, took to Holden and seem to be a BCM fault, quoted $600 to S&F new BCM programed with keys etc, but at time vehicle did start, Luckily they turned car off and went to restart and it would not start, Turns out when error and code came up the ECU did not register, hence the BCM being OK and the ECU being the problem, they looked after me being in trade and S&F $1000 all up, that included all updates( car is 2004) so updates where good lol, for the warranty etc at the price they quoted for BCM and eventually the ECU no point IMHO going second hand

radbeck

Reaction score
Hi mate, just go to your Holden spare parts counter with your VIN and ask for a trace code printout. They might charge you $15.00 or so for it, but ask for the full printout. It will look like the sample attached. You will all the codes needed like BCM code, etc as well.

You need the IK code for ignition key, then if you have an ecu and bcm etc from the same model car and engine code it should just be a straight swap over from memory.

Many thanks.

Can I get a new key programmed knowing the IK code? Is that all I would need? Could a Mr Minit place that do new key remotes, program one with this info?

cheers

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
There's no point getting a print out using your current VIN because that's for the old ECM and BCM. You need the printout for your new set, so you need the VIN off the wreck, then using this a locksmith will be able to cut and program a new key for the replacement ECM and BCM. You might keep your old key blade and only replace the transponder, so your door locks all work and the new transponder talks to the new BCM.

Also, shopping mall locksmiths will not be able to do this using the code you'll need to go to an actual proper Locksmith and should cost around $140 for one transponder to be programmed. I think I follow what's happening anyway........

radbeck

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I'm in the process now of trying to get the codes out of Holden for the ECM,BCM kit out of the wrecked car.

They tell me I need to show proof of ownership before they hand out any details. Something to do with privacy laws. Firstly the kit came out of a wrecked car that is at the wreckers now. Secondly it was not my car so I dont have any ownership and therefore no proof of ownership. How do I give them proof that the car is wrecked, has its rego cancelled and belongs to no one as a usable vehicle.

In theory I should be able to acheive a new remote/transponder if I can get the codes and get a locksmith to program one. At leaset I know it is acheivable. Just gotta work out how now.

Still working on this one???