Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eco reset and knock sensors

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
ecu reset and knock sensors

gday was just looking at my haynes manual and noticed that the ecotec engine have knock sensors. These sensors sense knock or detenation dont they and adjust the timing accordingly? So by using 98 octane fuel would I get a power increase becuase it would be able to run high timing?
Also is there any real need to reset the ecu?
thanks

Last edited:

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
running 98 would help STOP detonation if your getting it... but i doubt it will give u any power, definitely not noticeable

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
thanks, Always thought that with knock sensors it adjusts the timing to suit the petrol your using. Anyone comment on the ecu reset thing?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
As don0xer said you won't gain anything if your car is already running properly with no detonation.
Unfortunately ecotec don't have multi fuel tables to deal with different fuels.
But what you will gain is far less chance that any detonation will occur at all even under extreme loading like lugging up hill in top gear.
Also 98 is a much cleaner fuel than dirty 91, far less sulphur and other impurities plus 98 also has some cleaning agents in it.

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
ahh thats what I was looking for multi fuel tables. So the ecotec's dont have them. I plan to run my commodore on 98 octane fuel. Could you please comment on the ecu resetting any real need to do it after say I install a hi flow panel filter? Also with the IAC valve people say after restting the ecu you need to hold the engine at 3000rpm to set the IAC valve is this true?

Last edited: