Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Eco V6 swap to 304 V8 in column shift auto ute

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
Hi gang, has anyone done this swap before or am i the first? Currently having a few issues with some stuff, the ellery's manual isnt hlelping much, so looking at the brains trust for some insight.

Ive found the P/n saftey switch electrics on the side of the 6 box wont go onto the 8 box due to a shorter selector shaft, has anyone remedied that? if so, what did you do?

Im a little concerned with the shifter linkage box on the firewall being too close to the body. I currently have the 8 motor and box on the ground and the body dangling above it ready to be lowered down. Is the shifter box going to be an issue at all?

Attachments

• ute engine swap.jpg
    ute engine swap.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 331
  • Shifter bolt on point.jpg
    Shifter bolt on point.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 351

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
ok, so i made an adapter up to lengthen the shifter rod out of the gearbox and first tests it seems to work well, have lowered the body almost to the point of lining up the kframe up, but still not 100% in position to check shifter clearances

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Did V8 ute ever come with column shift?
I know that I have never seen one.

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
Did V8 ute ever come with column shift?
I know that I have never seen one.

Ive asked on a few different pages, and no-one can answer yes or no.

Current problem is, its all bolted in, and ready to crank via key, but i get nothing, not even a starter relay click. Currently im putting it down to the park/neutral safety switch no aligned properly, but cant 100% rule that out till i have another set of hands to help me

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Currently im putting it down to the park/neutral safety switch no aligned properly, but cant 100% rule that out till i have another set of hands to help me

I might be wrong but the column NSS shouldn't change position even if it's a V8 unless the column is moved into another posi somehow. But AFAIK the column in a ute is fixed and can't really be altered. I don't see how changing linkages will alter the position of the NSS since it sits under the column shroud under the steering wheel and screws in a fixed position. There is not really hardly any adjustment, if any for the switch on a column auto.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok just reread first post you have a VS did the column switch get moved when the VS came out?

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
Ok just reread first post you have a VS did the column switch get moved when the VS came out?

Dont know about any other model, but on the box for the column, the gear selecot shaft is longer. IVe made an adapter for the V8 box as its too short. The NSS bolts to the side of the box ( bolt holes are on side of all boxes ) and it has a small amount of swing adjustment. I can get the car to crank if i short out the starter wire up at the battery, but zilch operation from the key, even with rotating NSS and going thru the gears. Im at a loss why its not wanting to crank off the key.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VR column has the switch just under the lever, must have changed with the intro of the VS.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just pulled an old thread on the switch location and yeah it varies. Even some column VR apparently have it where your's is located. Seems like it changed with the introduction of the adjustable steering wheel position.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
IIrc only cars with inhibitor on auto were vs series 3 or vt models.

Guessing incomplete starter wiring circuit so you'll have to bypass or bridge wires temporarily if you want it to crank or start

Never really looked at column auto cars to note the differences tbh

** if switch is on column put test light on it to check it works P & N

Last edited: