Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eco vs power

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
makes no difference to the line pressure as that is regulated by the boost valve, the power button sole purpose is to change maps for the shift points for a more aggressive change, more responsive feel

Line pressure is also controlled by the force motor which is pcm controlled for the 4l60e (th 700r4/4l60 relied on the throttle valve to control the line pressure, the harder you pushed the pedal the more the line pressure increased, it's not solely controlled by the boost valve).

VR BPLZ
VRfmp.jpg VR2po.jpg

VS BWPJ
VSBWPJ -1.jpg VSBWPJ -2.jpg eco with pwr table pasted over, red indicates changed value

VT CXWL
VT CXWL.jpg

I do not recommend changing these values unless you know what you are doing, stuffing up will result in a buggered trans

Last edited:

666vt

[ no style ]
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive 3.8
ok thanks for the info guys :beer chug:

666vt

[ no style ]
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive 3.8
also, new question off topic:

coilovers for vx?
would they be good for towing?
that way i can get rims, and make it look good by slamming it, then raising it for towing.

hope so.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I towed a VP commodore today for several hours, Up some pretty big hills too. I used the PWR mode the whole way. Used just as much petrol if not less than I usually do.

This was cruising between 90 - 100kmph

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I towed a VP commodore today for several hours, Up some pretty big hills too. I used the PWR mode the whole way. Used just as much petrol if not less than I usually do.

This was cruising between 90 - 100kmph

you drive with a lead foot normally then.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
you drive with a lead foot normally then.

+1, but that being said....PWR mode on when doing 90-100 isn't going to make as much difference as if he had PWR mode on and was accelerating heavily from 0-60 frequently.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I also normal travel half an hour total a day up a windy gravel road to my house, top speed 30kmph... When i leave my house this means it takes 20mins before my car reaches temp because I am driving very slowly down hill, I hardly touch the accelerator.

also when towing a large load, its getting you up to speed that's difficult, holding that speed is no problem, that is until you find a hill haha.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
LOL

As mentioned earlier, It alters the shift points and converter lock/unlock as well as bumping up the line pressures a little.

I've had the missus ecotec in powermode for years. I hate it when in eco mode and it's lugging around in OD at 50km/h and you need to give it heaps of gas to kick it down.

To be honest, when I went back to economy mode it used more gas, now i've retuned it so that economy mode also holds 3rd longer and it's much nicer to drive, also don't need to give it as much gas to kick down a gear or unlock the converter when cruising so basically the engine doesn't labour like it does in the standard economy mode.

The stock transmission shift points really suck.

BTW, using an auto box manually won't #### it at all. In fact it is recommended to shift it manually under certain circumstances. The tune has settings to stop you abusing the trans to much, you can slip gear selector into 1 at 100km's if you like but the box won't kick down etc

Dylan_11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs bt1 commodore
i have a full manualised auto picked it up cheap off a mate. leave the pwr button on round town like JXW said it lags the car really bad. will slip your torque converter. but everyone has a difference of opinion. go with wat you feel works best for you and you like. btw get a shiftkit and a tune. ull b alot happier =)