Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

economy figures in vs 8's

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
His 6 was replaced with a full reco early last year and yes my tank was bigger,by only 10L or so.The main difference between the two were:
Mine his
V8 V6
IRS Live axle
15's 17's
stock height lowered

Thats the good thing about my cars.

VP V6 Berlina wagon
VP V8 Berlina wagon.

The only difference was the gearbox/trans.

got 650 to a tank on the V8, and i'd barely get 400 to a tank on the V6.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
i think i'll just have to see what i can find when ive paid off my car. she'll be paid off in a few months then i'll have a look around. half of me is thinking sh!t yeh i should get a v8 but then the other half is thinking i shouldn't as next year i'll be starting an apprenticeship and as everyone knows they get **** all money... but basically if i can find an 8 with cai, extractors, a highflow exhaust, manual and if i dont be to harsh on it i can expect about 13L/100k approx?

thanks for everyones feedback! its helped alot :)

Yeah, Def.!

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
here we go again.

Check out the australian fuel consumption standard results since they have been published! no normally aspirated larger engine fitted to the same chassis layout from the same manufacturer in the one model range has every achieved better consumption than the smaller normally aspirated engine....period.

Yeh, the results were rigged by white coated 6cyl drivers......in your v8 dreams!

QUOTE]

Have you EVER owned a V8?Try listening to those who have owned both 6 & 8's.We know all know what the figures are like from EXPERIENCE,not reading what lab rats have come up with.
Perfect example,my former best mate and i used to live together only 9 months ago and he had a VS berlina V6 and me a VS berlina V8,with no engine mods and what was done,it was done to both cars,both serviced together.Now,we also shared similar driving styles yet I'd get more milage in my V8 by 2-300k's each tank,go figure that one

Yeh, yeh.....the government test results have never been in question when it comes to the actual rank order. If car A performs better than car B on the tests it will perform better in reality as well.

I have to own a v8 to know all this, yeh like I need to own a jumbo to know it uses more fuel.

I could get absorbed in arguing against the ridiculous here, but its been done before:http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...36-fuel-consumption-kms-per-tank-ve-v8-2.html

and http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/797847-post44.html

For the record i learnt to drive in a v8 and got my licence in one, and drove and fed one for a year.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
if were talking the BEST overall result ive ever gotten, then yeah its dipped down to the 7's like the v6, but it doesnt stay there for very long.

my quotes are my average readings.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
Drove the vy v6 ecotec today (68000 odometer/2.92 diff) and its averaging 10.9 l/100km with a woman driver. (didnt get average speed but its city driving)

just checked my v8 and its averaginf 61km/h and sitting on 12.6l/100km's (not taking it easy and 30%highway/70% city driving)

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
can ANY tuned v6 yield this?

DSCF1879.jpg

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Cmon, the ^ isnt too hard.
Straight out of the box the v6 are good for 6.6L/100km highway cycle....so one could see a bit better than that on the tripmeter(which can give some spurious readings if the first 2km of a new trip are coasting downhill!).....and how big is the tank on the v8 you have pictured there?

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
same as your vx, which is 75 litres. if its so easy go fill up and take a pic showing more than 1000km left to empty.

the fuel tank in my 17 year old v8 is 80 litres and shows 830km to empty after filling up, even if your vx v6 can match that reading you still dont have v8 power.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
The distance to empty calculations I found to be rather inaccurate due to calibration factors.

I did get close to 900km once when I drove from Sydney to Brisbane, but only managed to get 700km or so from the tank.