Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

economy figures in vs 8's

redvs2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged Vs, VY ss ute, rodeo daily
redvs2,To put it simple,Both 6 & 8 use similar fuel but you get more power to play with in an 8. Any1 who says that V8's are thirsty really have no idea what their on about,how many V8 drivers are here saying how great it is have have one,and how their NOT as thirsty as people think.

yeh exactly im quite surprised to see how similar they are. and nothing can beat that v8 rumble! i guess i'll just have to wait and see what i can find when i get to that stage!

if anyone wants a very tidy vs exec mine will be for sale in a few months lol

thanks for the great response to the thread lol! its great to have so much input from u guys who know what ur on about from the experience of owning one or the other or both :)

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
lol which tank to which engine... im guessing the 80 with the 8? thats 40 litres to go to the goldie and back?

the best trip ive done in the v6 was grafton to brisbane and a little more... not being too gentle on the throttle and going about 120 - 140 most of the way... i got just under 10L/100k...

yep 80 litre tank in the v8. so 30-35 litres in the v6 and 30 litres in the v8 from brissie to the goldcoast, and back again.

redvs2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged Vs, VY ss ute, rodeo daily
yep 80 litre tank in the v8. so 30-35 litres in the v6 and 30 litres in the v8 from brissie to the goldcoast, and back again.

yeh i was working down at carrara a few feeks ago for 2 days and that was 95 k each way so i did 500k on that fill and only had to put in just under 50 litres. so im happy with my fuel economy just not my gearbox... im a manual fan.. :)

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
accelerating from stand still flat out is quite nice with the 4 speed, you can kick back gears pretty hard at 50km and 80-100km/h+ but nailing it at 60-65 is a bit of a weak spot and you need to wait to build up the revs in second to go anywhere... just a let down to its gearing, if i had the extra gear in the auto i would be very happy.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
if you can get the manual,better economy with that extra gear to cruise with,and just more fun.Im waiting till the day i get my 6 speed conversion,hell yeah

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
lol sounds like someone knows they cant back what their saying and knows it quite well......

Why would I bother putting another $100+ of petrol in the tank that will just go along for the ride for the next two years and then waste my time taking photos to prove to some challenged individuals on a car forum what is already fact, tested/repeatable info: Fuel Consumption Guide Database 1986-2003

and im guessing that u have never owned a V8...
Why dont you read the whole thread instead of guessing what may be in it, especially if you are going to the trouble of posting and telling me Im talking nonsense... and even better click on some of the links to other threads I gave you ..., which have links to real information on the realities of engine efficiency.

When you can come back here and tell us how the australian standards for fuel testing have got it all wrong and disproved established knowledge on engine size load and efficiency then you may be worth listening to...... conclusions based on "my mates cousins v6 used heaps" etc wont cut the mustard.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you use half the amount of throttle and sit 500rpm lower than the v6 driving a v8 on the highway, all in all i would say it would be a close competition but the v8 definately takes the win.
really. the standard VN V6 sits at 1800rpm@100km/h. so your V8 only revs at 1300rpm@100km/h:rofl: now i know your talking bollocks. both have the same diff ratio from factory (3.08:1) and the difference between the final drive ratio in the auto and manual boxes is stuff all (4l60 OD 0.70:1, T5 5th gear 0.72:1)

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
thats right, the transmission and diff gearing are exactly the same between the v6 and v8 in the auto, thats why the v8 sits lower in the rpm range @ any given speed, thats also why you can go faster in each gear versus the v6. theres 2 extra pistons pushing the car along so the revs are naturally going to be lower, at 110km/h i sit on exactly 1800-1900rpm the v6 auto revs @ 2100 @ 110

Last edited:

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
I also just did a test with the l3 dash, went for a drive for half an hour in built up traffic and currently sitting on 43km/h average and 14.3l/100km, ill update it when i go driving again as it was just starting to go down as i pulled up.

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
ive had a few commodores with the following figures:

VP 5.0 V8 wagon auto (LPG): 14L/100km around town, 12L/100km highway
VN 3.8 V6 sedan manual (LPG): 13L/100km around town, 11L/100km highway
VN 3.8 V6 wagon auto (petrol): 12L/100km around town, 9L/100km highway
VS 3.8 V6 wagon auto (petrol): 13L/100km around town, 9L/100km highway