Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec and L67 ecu differences

gregando

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
G'day fellas
I have a 2000 VX XU6 s/c v6. Ive been having a Knock retard problem at 4500rpm which appeared a few months after i had the engine rebuilt, so i tested the knock sensors at the ecu today and when i got the ecu out the kick panel it has written on it " VT S1 auto " in pink texter.....so its had the ecu changed at some time.... now im a bit worried. How do i tell if the right ecu in the car? whats the difference between the ecotec and L67 ecu's as i have no idea what this one is or the history of the car in that respect, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on how to tell the difference between the two if any besides tune.
any help will be very very much appreciated thanks fellas.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
L67's ecu will have a different settings as they have bigger injectors and a slightly different bottom end. Also take into consideration that the supercharger works off the motors power.

gregando

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
good stuff but how do i tell one from the other N/A ecotec and l67 how do i tell the memcal's apart

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
get the number off the silver sticker on the chip in the memcal

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
The L67 originally will have used a memcal-based tune, and VT S1 also does too. The differences in the ECU amongst other things relate to the boost bypass solenoid and the 2 stage fuel pump control. Since the ECU has been replaced with a different one I'd be getting the tune checked to verify whether the 2 stage fuel pump control stuff is still functional. If it's not, this could be your knock retard problem as the tune could potentially not be supplying the motor with enough fuel above 4500rpm. That said though, have you done anything to the motor, like smaller pulley, cooler etc etc? If you have, the MAF sensor may be maxxing itself out at 4500rpm which would have a similar effect as the tune will have run out of fuel and spark tables to reference to above 4500rpm.

Hope this helps you solve your problem mate!

gregando

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
ballanced and blue printed, 7.5.1 forgies ,larger valves and springs, but i stuck with a stock cam for now. As for bolt ons 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, cai and 4" intake pipe 42lbh injecters and a 10 psi pully thats it. Youve got me thinken now might try find a XU6 ecu and put it back right.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
VT ecu is fully populated with all componants and should work the L67 in a VX just fine with a VX tune in it.with all them mods its gonna need a tune to suit

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
post up the number

gregando

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
VT ecu is fully populated with all componants and should work the L67 in a VX just fine with a VX tune in it.with all them mods its gonna need a tune to suit

im doubting what you posted here is whats been done, thing is i'm worried that the tune might be for a VT n/a ecotec not a VX HSV XU6. For starters the ecu only has "VT S1 auto" written on it , you would expect a wrecker to lable it properly if it was to suit an L67 it would state that its for a s/c v6 or maybe whoever changed the ecu didnt have a clue and just orderd a VT ecu. I'll post the number up asap fingers crossed it has an l67 memcal.