Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC - Are High Lift Rockers worth it ........

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
With rockers, there isnt really such a thing as 'overkill' unless of course you want a big cam down the track.
It's not overkill til your valve spring binds up and you bend a pushrod....not meaning to pick, but there hasn't been much focus on the effect all this has on the valve springs.
Valve spring bind and increased valve velocities increases chance of valve 'bounce' at higher rpms.....what do you guys think?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
It's not overkill til your valve spring binds up and you bend a pushrod....not meaning to pick, but there hasn't been much focus on the effect all this has on the valve springs.
Valve spring bind and increased valve velocities increases chance of valve 'bounce' at higher rpms.....what do you guys think?

Like with getting a larger cam, would you not replace the valve springs when you get higher ratio rockers to something more suited to the application?

Tonsta V6 S/C

Reaction score
Website
www.v6supercharged.com.au
Members Ride
VT CALAIS Supercharged V6
yeah well i want the best for my car what ever makes it go harder! the 1.97s over kill?
The 1.9's are Awesome

The 1.97's are Incredible

The 1.9's deliver approximatley 10-20kW Power Gain and 20-30Nm Torque Gain

The 1.97's deliver approximatley 15-25kW Power Gain and 20-35Nm Torque Gain

That's as much as most Mild Cams !!

The 1.97 Ratio translates to .510" Max Lift to the Valve.

The Valvespring is capable of .560" before coilbind so there is heaps of headroom.

The 1.97's are easily the best Rocker we have ever produced

We have been making 1.9 rockers for 6 years now and running them on stock valvesprings and never had any reports or instances of them binding or breaking.

So are they an Overkill ? ... No they are purely and simply the max amount of safe lift we are currently prepared to release to the public. If you want the max performance these are the highest power producing rockers currently available on the V6 market.

The Higher the Ratio the more Valve Lift and the Greater the Resultant Power

Higer Ratio = More Valve Lift = Greater Power

The 1.99's and 2.02's we have in our development vehicles may be considered the borderline of Overkill and we are not retailing these until we have done extensive 1-2year durability testing.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tonsta

Last edited:

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Kritical ....... that's definitive information there for you now, like we said, select the rocker ratio that fits your budget or your power desires and hook right into it!

Tonsta V6 S/C

Reaction score
Website
www.v6supercharged.com.au
Members Ride
VT CALAIS Supercharged V6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R40Vs7I-Q4

That is Uber Cool :thumbsup:

You can really see the 1.97's hit the 1st Powerband at 3,000rpm

Then Hits a 2nd and more Aggressive Powerband at 4,000rpm

... and revs Strong all the way to Redline !!

Check out how quickly it races through 1st gear, it's over instantly !!

Looks like 1st-2nd gear is a bit dragged out due to stock auto trans and remaining wheelspin trying to catch up with the road speed.

You can see how quickly it shoots to 100km/h and then 120km/h it really has quite a PowerBand when it hits 4,000-6,000rpm :D

Approximately 6.75sec to 100km/h - Awesome :)

Regards

Tonsta

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
looks like it would really benefit from a shift kit at this point and maybe lsd for traction

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Some shift improving equipment would be good but I was playing with the throttle trying to hold off the shift until the vehicle body matched the wheel speed, you will see just before it shifts to second that I fully depress the throttle and RPM goes to 6000rpm. Otherwise the car gets mad wheelspin, revs out to limiter and changes into second and bogs back down, a bit of throttle management makes it all a bit smoother progress.

The LSD is a big need, have come across one of those in an EQUIPE so might make a move on that.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Have you experimented with what rpm you stall up to?

I found that if I do a “Flash” stall in my car that I get a better take off .

Hard to explain in text, but I’ll try.

You know how in cars with IRS the bum sinks when you hold the brake and stall up? There is a point when it bottoms out, or doesn’t sink any more. What I try to get is a fluid motion. I stall up to 1200rpm while waiting, a second before you’re ready to go floor the go pedal and hold the brake till just before is would stop sinking then let go. Happens in a split second. Took a bit of practise to get it fluid, but it does help me.

Jezz

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Knowledge is power

That is exactly what we do, definitely gives the best take off and when at drags we time that process against the tree for best possible run. You described it well in my opinion :)