Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC - Are High Lift Rockers worth it ........

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
JC members suggested we should put this information in the V6 development and mod area to benefit all V6 ECOTEC owners. For full story see http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=42803

Here at Raptor we have just fitted some FIT 1.97:1 Ratio valve rockers to our ECOTEC as part of the upgrade path prior to supercharging. Read on for the results we measured!

As you can see (dyno chart) from the power AND torque curves the improvment is everywhere right through the range with a noticeable increase at the end of the power run. Car really pulls well for this small upgrade and we reckon there would have to be at least .2 of a second at the strip to be gained now, the car slightly taps the limiter in first gear now since the RPM flicks up damn quick!! :thumbsup: The stock air filter and intake system are all still in place, only 3 changes have been made, extractors, exhaust and finally the high lift rockers

For NA mods its nearly impossible to go past the 1.97 rockers and exhaust system combo in terms of bang for buck! We can't think of a more useful V6 upgrade anywhere.

STOCK POWER 114.6 RWKW

Power with FIT 1.97:1 rockers, extractors and HSV pipe 134.8 RWKW or 180 RWHP

Gain is 20.2 KW or 27 RWHP :dance: :D :D :D

The stock quartermile time was 15.65
The time after extractors and exhaust was 15.52
Time at track after rockers ....... will be revealed Sat the 11th Nov after next Test and tune, should be quite improved!!

Even from this point we would have to say HIGH LIFT rockers are a must for an NA ECOTEC if you want to experience a solid power gain.

Attachments

• VY ext rock pipe.jpg
    VY ext rock pipe.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 856
Last edited:

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Not Bad!!

Ive Gotta say, Im suprised at the results! But at what cost?? $$$ Would the results have been similar with standard exhaust? I think your project is going to suprise a lot of people!! Ive removed the internals of my cat just to experiment and found it to have no gains (noticable). Ive instantly made up my mind in regards to rockers from your results!! Spanners are in hand.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Yeah I'm not surprised, The rockers are amazing.I have the old 1.8:1 rockers and with all my mods I got 181.2rwhp. I also got 15.37 1/4 time so I would agree that you should be able to get that time or a tad quicker.

Jezz

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Chris

As always to prove the point entirely we would need to back to back the exhaust setups against the Rockers mod to prove the rockers definitively. That said we have already done the quartermile with extractors and exhaust and the .13 gain indicates the smallest gain.

Our current thought is the power bulge from 4500 - 6000rpm may not have occurred if the stock manifold and system was retained, as the quite significant increase in flow needed to make 16 or so KW may not have flowed out so easily at the top end. Maybe the extractors and exhaust are starting to show benefit now.

WARNING TO ALL, normally it is not possible to fit rockers of this lift to a VY ECOTEC due to dodgy casting of the cylinder heads. Holden didn't clean up the heads properly like they did before VY (and some VX). We removed the excess casting material with extreme care after we removed the stock rocker gear, then the new Rockers fitted with heaps of clearance for the pushrods.

At what cost .....$795.00 for rockers. For the exhaust $700 (extractors supplied and fitted, and HSV system provided at no charge)

Jezz you've given us a target now :D , seriously tho that is about same time we expect to come up with.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
No problem!!

As a Mechanic, I understand what needs to be done and the care taken!! Thanks for the warning and info.:thumbsup:

Kind Regards,

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
NICE!!!

Might pair up in the VN nice with the ECOTEC in it...

Lukey extractors & 2 1/4" hi-flow system... Keep a lil more down low torque instead of top end.

Add rockers + a tune.... :) I could be very happy.

Cheers
MaT

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
FINALLY! A thread worth reading up on and that has useful information!!!! HOORAY!

I've been thinking about upgrading my roller rockers for some time now and the thing that really gets me is numbers and statistics. RAPTORSC has summed everything up for me perfectly. Cheers champ. Would you think that the Yella Terra High Ratio Roller rockers would be any different in terms of power output compared to the FIT ones?

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Rockers ain't rockers :)

We will avoid the brand versus brand argument here, we picked a rocker we thought would make good power (and it did).

The car goes extremely well with the FIT rockers, if someone wants to supply the other brand to us we will objectively test them if they like and publish the numbers. There shouldn't be too great a difference in the outputs from each brand but until back to back test we would never be able to confirm that.

We will continue with testing everything and publishing the numbers as the dyno or track produce them. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Fair enough RaptorSC; I hear you loud and clear

Are you still able to PM me the details about your 1 and 1.5 kits? I posted to you in another thread but yet to get a response :(