Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Ecotec balance shaft removal - Need advice

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
So I'm going to be partially stripping down the old V6 for a manifold swap and some head work... While I'm there I've been considering disabling the balance shaft.

If I throw a double row timing chain on it will I be able to safely disable the shaft without too many problems?

To the guys that have done this... How rough does the engine run without it??? and would you reconmend doing it??? Where did you get your double row chains?

I'm running standard cam, just looking to reduce some rotating mass in the old girl...

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I run a double row timing chain with the balance shaft disabled. Mine has a largish cam in it so it has a little bit of a shake at idle, but it's smooth once the revs get going.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Do you think the roughness is caused by the removal of the balance shaft or due to the large cam? When you say the revs get going do you mean like 2000rpm upwards or just cruising at 60kph?

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Do you think the roughness is caused by the removal of the balance shaft or due to the large cam? When you say the revs get going do you mean like 2000rpm upwards or just cruising at 60kph?

The roughness is due to the cam, roughness is probably the wrong way to describe it though. At idle the engine is 'lumpy' but as soon as the revs are brought over 1000rpm its fine.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Oh good, I'm putting a mild cam in my engine and I am removing the balancer shaft due to the double row timing chain, just wanted to know it wasn't a really aggressive shake or anything.

To the OP the balancer shaft weighs only about 1-2kgs, whereas the rest of your car weighs 1.5tonne, any gain from having the balancer shaft remove could also be had through dieting for one week :p. A double row timing chain is mainly for people with bigger cams and tougher valve springs, not saying you shouldn't do it, it is entirely up to you.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the ballance shaft may only wieght a couple of KG's but it's rotating mass. reducing rotating mass will allow the engine to spin up faster making you go faster. so it's not like removing a couple KG's from another place of the car, it's more like using a lightened flywheel.

if you remove the ballance shaft from a ecotec you need to block the oil gallary that feeds the rear bearing for the ballance shaft. some choose to leave the ballance shaft inplace but remove the drive gear so it doesn't spin.

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
ahhh yeah rotating mass, forgot about that.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
But it's the rotating mass that balances the engine....

Sometimes by removing it, you will get a roughness in the engine around 1700 rpm.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But it's the rotating mass that balances the engine....

Sometimes by removing it, you will get a roughness in the engine around 1700 rpm.

plenty of people have removed them, ballanced the bottom end and not noticed anything. even without ballancing the bottom end it's not that bad.

on mine the odd vibration occurs at about 2600rpm. always has. but it's a VN, it adds character

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Not saying it can't be removed. Just that it may cause a vibration.

Also the talk about the rotating mass, this is what actually balances the engine, I don't think taking it out would impact the ability to rev that much. Only my thoughts though.