Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC' CAM? Standard Engine. INDIVIDUAL

MACE

Reaction score
Dont Punch Rocks,

"Would any of the above mentioned cams be suited to a turbo if one was to fit one down the track? Or is better to get a turbo grind after the turbo install"
The stage 1 cam isn't a a bad cam and work reasonably well with a turbo, otherwise a turbo grind would be the best way to go.

As acarmody has mentioned, going a turbo cam at the same time as the turbo along with the tuning would be the most cost effective approach

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
Bart

bizza12345

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack S1
Sorry to revive an old thread AGAIN :p
But i also am now left with questions.

I own a VX S Pack series 1 (01 model), with:
Mace 69mm TB
Mace 25mm manifold insulator
full 2.5 inch exhaust
mace recalibrated ecu to suit above.

Looking for preferably more low-mid range torque.
I am currently deciding between high ratio rockers (and what size ones) and cams.

How lumpy are the cams? Being a P plater in vic obviously i dont want to attract much more attention than I already do, so if the cams are lumpy I don't want to have to walk home from wherever I get pulled up.

I was thinking High ratio rockers for a good easy boost in power without a noticeable difference in how the car sounds. Discrete mods are the best mods :D And do they require anything else to be replaced or can i just put them in with no repercussions.

but if buying a set of say crow cams(which stage?) off mace would be much better power gains, what else will i need to buy? Bigger lifters? pushrods? or can i just put them on? Will i need to buy another PCM and then get it tuned again?

TL;DR: what i'm asking pretty much is what's my best bang for my buck, without making it too noticeable?

MACE

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread AGAIN :p
But i also am now left with questions.

I own a VX S Pack series 1 (01 model), with:
Mace 69mm TB
Mace 25mm manifold insulator
full 2.5 inch exhaust
mace recalibrated ecu to suit above.

Looking for preferably more low-mid range torque.
I am currently deciding between high ratio rockers (and what size ones) and cams.

How lumpy are the cams? Being a P plater in vic obviously i dont want to attract much more attention than I already do, so if the cams are lumpy I don't want to have to walk home from wherever I get pulled up.

I was thinking High ratio rockers for a good easy boost in power without a noticeable difference in how the car sounds. Discrete mods are the best mods :D And do they require anything else to be replaced or can i just put them in with no repercussions.

but if buying a set of say crow cams(which stage?) off mace would be much better power gains, what else will i need to buy? Bigger lifters? pushrods? or can i just put them on? Will i need to buy another PCM and then get it tuned again?

TL;DR: what i'm asking pretty much is what's my best bang for my buck, without making it too noticeable?

Hi bizza12345,

" Looking for preferably more low-mid range torque.
I am currently deciding between high ratio rockers (and what size ones) and cams. "

I would recommend either the 1.9 rockers or stage 1 Comp Cams cam. The stage 2 cam will move the power band up the rpm range so you will need to rev the engine more. I Would also recommend fitting our 12mm plenum spacer.

" How lumpy are the cams? Being a P plater in vic obviously i dont want to attract much more attention than I already do, so if the cams are lumpy I don't want to have to walk home from wherever I get pulled up. "
Check this link to see a youtube video of the stage 2 cam idling Idle Note - VS Ute - YouTube

" I was thinking High ratio rockers for a good easy boost in power without a noticeable difference in how the car sounds. Discrete mods are the best mods And do they require anything else to be replaced or can i just put them in with no repercussions. "
The high ratio rockers are a true bolt on mod, no other modifications are required to run them.

" but if buying a set of say crow cams(which stage?) off mace would be much better power gains, what else will i need to buy? Bigger lifters? pushrods? or can i just put them on? Will i need to buy another PCM and then get it tuned again? "
The Crow cams are fairly mild and can be run on the standard valve springs if you don't intend to sit on the limiter the whole time. When fitting a camshaft you will need to tune the engine to suit.

" what i'm asking pretty much is what's my best bang for my buck, without making it too noticeable? "
"Bang for Buck" would be our high ratio rockers :)

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
Bart

justintravers84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Only asking coz im looking at getting one and am then plaining on doing major engine mods to it and b for u all say its not worth it coz its only a 6 I know but its something that I want to do and I plan on doing everything from porting the cylinderheads to cam,crank shaft,rollers and lifters,extractors,plenum spacers by mace,forged pistons,push rods the lot.I also plan on putting a stage 3 shift kit,hi stall torque converter and servo on my auto transmission as well as coilovers and brake upgrade.im just curious if im going to do all this work to it then what would b the best parts to go together like cam stage and what ratio roller rockers and like valve heights and that sort of thing.anyhelp with this would b greatly appreciated.thankz

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Only asking coz im looking at getting one and am then plaining on doing major engine mods to it and b for u all say its not worth it coz its only a 6 I know but its something that I want to do and I plan on doing everything from porting the cylinderheads to cam,crank shaft,rollers and lifters,extractors,plenum spacers by mace,forged pistons,push rods the lot.I also plan on putting a stage 3 shift kit,hi stall torque converter and servo on my auto transmission as well as coilovers and brake upgrade.im just curious if im going to do all this work to it then what would b the best parts to go together like cam stage and what ratio roller rockers and like valve heights and that sort of thing.anyhelp with this would b greatly appreciated.thankz

One suggestion (if you are serious), don't ask questions yet, do a lot of research.
I say this as you sound like you have no real idea & at this stage this is just a pipe dream.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
One suggestion (if you are serious), don't ask questions yet, do a lot of research.
I say this as you sound like you have no real idea & at this stage this is just a pipe dream.

The give away was "is it dohc"