Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Ecotec Conrods

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hi all. I'm hopefully going to rebuild my enigne soon and I would like to replace the conrods. Does anyone know if these will fit the good ol' Ecotec, https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=788 , they seem to fit but I don't know. Or does anyone know where I can get some here in Aussie land? I don't wish to spend nearly a grand on conrods. Also my car has done 210k kilometres, so will a simple cranshaft regrind be enough or should I be looking at a nw crank too?

-Cheers

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
ive got them in my car. you will need the l67 pistons they wont fit with standard ecotec pistons

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So these rods and L67 pistons. Will it work with the L36 crankshaft? Also will that change the compression and will I need any head or bore work to fit them?

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
prob have to get a rebore so it all sits in nice. you wont need head work. and yes they will fit the crank they both use the same crank. i have some second hand l67 pistons if you want? what stuff are your planning to do with the motor?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm just rebuilding it because it looks like it has a dying camshaft bearing. I thought that while the engine is out that I would fully rebuild it to give it more life (done 210000km). I was going to get new, camshaft bearings, conrod bearings, main bearings, new performance camshaft, ACL race pistons, valve springs, double row timing chain, new head , main and conrod bolts, and new gasket kit. I would also like to clean up the heads a bit, know anyone in brisbane? So yeah new rods and crank are the only things I haven't worked out yet. My engine hasn't been pulled apart yet so I don't know the condition of the current ones.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i doubt theyll work with standard crankshaft youll need l67 crank as they are balanced differently to ecotec as pistons and rods are heavier.
Another option is balancing mallaroy will more than likely needed to be added to even it out

jenkos_vl

Reaction score
i doubt theyll work with standard crankshaft youll need l67 crank as they are balanced differently to ecotec as pistons and rods are heavier.
Another option is balancing mallaroy will more than likely needed to be added to even it out

the cranks are exactly the same,

these motors are externally balanced, so there is a difference in the flex plate balance but thats it. . also the balance shaft is different, but if he is having a motor built, the machinist will take car of all that.

Dan

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Doesn't the L67 have a forged crankshaft? It would be good if the crankshaft is the same, because then I can get these conrods from America, and maybe some custom pistons, because I was thinking of raising the compression to about 10.5:1, I'm never going to boost this motor, and I always run BP Ultimate.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
L67 and Ecotec share the same crank and cam. The L67 block is decked 0.020" more then the Ecotec but other than that the block is the same as well.

The heads are also the same except for the L67 having the injectors mounted in the heads whereas the Ecotec has them in the intake manifold runners.

The L32 powder forged rods and diamond pistons are designed for these engines.