Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC cutting out

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
ok so i got a new exhaust installed last week and then yesterday morning i banged it on the gutter getting out of the drive (yes the driveway is weird)...
now its cutting out randomly changing down through 5th,4th and 3rd... battery and alternator are fine and we've upped the base idle and thats only made the engine run like a dog so i gotta change it back.
when i change (and make a slow change) down the engine drops till about 400rpm and either picks back up to about 800-1000rpm or it stalls. it sounds like sometimes i have a leak in the exhaust and its sucking air in when i back off and then sometimes it doesnt and i cant figure it out. is it possible for a leak in the exhaust to be causing this problem?? the leak seems to be from around the gearbox area.

any ideas are appreciatted no matter how retarded cause its annoying and scary having your steering go while your slowing down for a roundabout

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
is the cat damaged
i thought it sounded like it but nobody else reckons... you can hear the air running through it real easily when you listen under the car

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
i thought it sounded like it but nobody else reckons... you can hear the air running through it real easily when you listen under the car

Hey mate sounds like you may of smashed your oxy sensor .. Get under and check they are both there and intack if so check the rest of the exhaust for breakage Ect I hit a too and smashed the oxy sensor off my ute was missing and being a pig till I got replacements

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
mate jack your car up and see exactly what you have hit.. then you will know what to fix and see if it eliminates the problem which it will if the problem occured after you hit your exhaust....

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
so it just developed the mother of all misfires but thats fixed now with new leads and spark plugs... checked underneath the car and all i did was hit the flanges between the extractors and the cats... no leaks and the oxy sensors are all good so i still have no idea
still stalls on the odd occasion when downshifting between 5 and 4 and i have no idea why its doing it. revs just drop to 400 and it either stalls or picks up again... if i shift quick enough it wont do it but if i leave the clutch in for about 5 seconds it will

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Have you checked the vacuum hose at the bottom of the throttle body?They can fall off and cause a lean mixture.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
just checked the vacuum hose and throttlebody... seems fine no leaks while running or anything
weird thing is that it idles normal when shifting down in 1st and 2nd and then the revs get progessively lower the higher the gear is
im wondering whether one of the exhaust sensors is damaged but they all look fine and even if they were how could they cause this problem cause its not consistent that it would be alright in lower gears but not high gears

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
just checked the vacuum hose and throttlebody... seems fine no leaks while running or anything
weird thing is that it idles normal when shifting down in 1st and 2nd and then the revs get progessively lower the higher the gear is
im wondering whether one of the exhaust sensors is damaged but they all look fine and even if they were how could they cause this problem cause its not consistent that it would be alright in lower gears but not high gears

Um what?
Thats what taller gear ratio's do.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Um what?
Thats what taller gear ratio's do.
what i mean is that if i change down to 2nd or 1st the revs dont drop down to 400 if i leave the clutch in long enough. the engine just drops to about 800-900rpm where it would normally drop to for all the gears whereas if i do it in third it drops to about 500-600rpm and 4th and 5th drop to 400rpm and itll either jump back up again to 800-900rpm or itll stall... it wont stall if i change gears quick enough so that the engine doesnt have a chance to drop the revs but id rather solve the problem rather than ignore it