Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec development

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just reading the latest copy of Street Machine mag (march 08) they have an interesting article on ecotec development, specifically in relation to the COME twin TB manifolds for the ecotec.

on page 104 there is a great side by side pic of the standard plenum Vs the COME plenum. it's plainly obvious that the COME plenum has longer runners and a large increase in volume. there is a dyno graph of comparison between the COME manifold and standard (fully ported manifold) manifold. the come manifold outperforms the standard manifold except for a short window (between 3600rpm to 4600rpm) and maintains and increases torque through to 5500rpm.

for those not willing to spend $1750 on a COME manifold, i suggest the next best option is the MACE manifold insulator. it's a bakerlite (spelling???) to increase runner length and reduce plenum heat (bakerlite is a heat resistant product). COLD AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD INSULATOR FOR HOLDEN VS-VY ECO - eBay Air Filters, Induction Kits, Performance Parts, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 13-Mar-08 22:37:22 AEDST)

and a MACE plenum spacer to increase plenum volume PERFORMANCE PLENUM/MANIFOLD SPACER! Holden V6 VS-VY - eBay Engine Modifications, Performance Parts, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Mar-08 22:54:18 AEDST)

using these 2 products gets you a poor mans COME manifold.:yeah::thumbsup:

just a note of interest. on page 103 there is a pic of there ecotec engine on there engine dyno, you'll note they are using a VNs1 style ignition pack:p

other people have used the insulator/spacer with good results so it seems to be a proven product and i think the plenum spacer is given considering how many threads i have seen over the years with people experimenting with this exact mod

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Why are they using a vns1 style ignition pack?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
not sure man,weird id got msd ignition if I owned a 3.8L with this manifold.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
anyone using te insulators? any good?

I believe Tim from raptor is experimenting with one at the moment. have also heard good comments from members on another unnamed forum.

i will definitly be getting one in the near future, not sure on the plenum spacer, seems a bit expensive to me, maybe if they hadn't made it from bakerlite (it's a fairly expensive product) it wouldn't cost so much and with the insulator already between the runners heat is not a problem in the plenum lid

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
heres a pic of the intake with insulator and spacer fitted. personally i think the spacer needs to be painted with a alloy colour paint as it doesn't look the greatest. i guess fuctionality was more important:p

Attachments

• P1010424_SMALL_SMALL_MACE.jpg
    P1010424_SMALL_SMALL_MACE.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 337

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I wonder what it would cost to get a spacer machined out of aluminium? I would say that the increased runner length would be more of a benefit than reduced heat soak.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Aluminium would get hotter though wouldnt it? would look 10x better though

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Thats the thing, is it the insulating effect that is more beneficial or the increased runner length? Using aluminium would be no worse than it already is, but you get longer runners.