Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC Engine Production Winds Down

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
Yep sad to see the ecotec go but hey.....thats whwat progress and moving forwards all about......*contemplates trading in VS V6 for new VZ :D*

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
can someone explain to me about the vn with the ecotec, i was under the impression it was introduced in 1995 with the vs commodore. please explain

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
TAILS83 said:
can someone explain to me about the vn with the ecotec, i was under the impression it was introduced in 1995 with the vs commodore. please explain
Exactly what i said back on the first page:
mixin said:
Funny that the ECOTEC was only introduced in April 1995, marketing spiel at it's best I'd say.....

The marketing gurus obviously can't get the ECOTEC name out of their head - the VN-VR V6 wasn't an ECOTEC, so the article would have been better to have described it as the 3.8L V6 & left ecotec out of it.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Gobbles said:
Yep sad to see the ecotec go but hey.....thats whwat progress and moving forwards all about......*contemplates trading in VS V6 for new VZ :D*

*contemplates trading the VS ute for a VU SS*

its a huuuuge maybe at the moment... im looking into it to see if i can afford it... and i hope i can... cos its black and sexy!

then my user name would have to be VU-SS-UTE

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
ECOTECh

Answering the Question of The ECOTEC, yes the ecotech was introduced in 1995. But the basic layout of the engine is the same as from 1988 VN. The ecotech had some improvements which made it quieter, more power and less fuel emissions. It was still cast iron engine with a cover on top. Notice the VN - VR sound different then the VS - VY....

J

Jaime

I love Holdens so much that I can imitate a 3.8L V6/ECOTEC V6. Sad, isn't it?

Farewell, Emissions and Consumption Optimisation through TEChnology, you will be sorely missed.

*salutes*