Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec in VR

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Okay, so I've done a search and can't find what I'm really looking for.
I've bought a VS donor car and I want to convert my VR to ecotec, I've seen the tutorial thread but I'd prefer using the VS computer.
Could I just plug and play the motor and loom into my VR body loom and maybe re-pin a few plugs if needed? and would I need to worry about security between the ECU / BCM?
or do I have to swap the whole body loom as-well? or would it be easiest to do like the tutorial suggests (use my loom and add sensors etc)?

Cheers.

Last edited:

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
if you take the PCM/ECU and BCM from the donor vehicle as well as the key fob it should all work fine.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Forget the bcm and get a memcal with VATS or the need for a BCM disabled

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Okay, so I bought myself the memcal, that's in and ready to do.

Now I've been looking at the connections for the engine and noticed I dont have the pink wire that the VS has in the bodyloom.. now just trying to see if it's possible for me to patch the PINK wire onto the Pink/Blue wire on the engine loom without a problem?
I've briefly researched it, and the pink wire goes to fuse 9 and pink blue goes to fuse 12 normally in the VS.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Hey, finished installing fitting everything.. I got a memcal to disable VATS it all runs, but i'm getting engine light on "Code 51 - Memcal Unit " I'm guessing it's because it's a different ECU and it's not detecting it's there properly?? Is there any way to trick it into thinking it's there? or disabling the light for that reason??
Cheers..

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I assume you used the VS ECU?

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
yeah, use VS eng, trans, loom and ECU. kept my VR bcm and loom.

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 Sedan, VR Ute
Done it many a time.
Did this in my VR ute not too long ago, still running the vr harness and box.

Just change all the sensors from the vr to the vs. You need to make/purchase an adapter for the sensor under the thermostat. engine temp to ecu IIRC. Al other sensor change over. I adapted the vr throttle body and cable to the ecotech plenum (remove a stud, drill a hole and file a piece on the other side for nut clearance)
Need to change the exhaust to the vs headers only, the y pipe will fit, just a little lower.
You will have to mount the power steer reservoir as well. Try to get the donor radiator and bracket, make life easier :)
Theres a handful of wires to lengthen on the drivers side of engine as well. Nothing hard.

Cut your existing air intake tube down to fit into the new space :D

Downside is you cant use your existing cruise control either.

And if you use the vs auto as well, just change the extension housing to keep your existing speedo drive

Last edited:

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 Sedan, VR Ute
Just as a footnote, I just fitted a VY ecotec into my ute. Few subtle changes from the VS ecotec.

I used the VS Plenum hat as I have already drilled and tapped a hole for the MAT sensor, so i used metal putty to fill the void fro the pcv valve as it enters the intake near the throttle body, not directly above. I used the VY injectors on the VS rail.
I also had to drill and tap a hole for the temp sender as the VY uses the ECU temperature for the gauge.
Apart from that, I encountered no other problems.

Cheers