Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Ecotec intake manifold, restrictive at 291rwhp

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Fair point. But.. the base line for the port floors is taken from the same point for each.

When I get home Ill check port heights compared to the base line.

It's also possible something else is out of alignment...Like my head/eyes/drinking hand which is the opposite to my grinding hand

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There probably isn't much point going to hard on the exhaust port, most of the restriction would be around the bowl and valve guide.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
FYI port top is within 0.1 mm of 53.98 mm from the plug flange machine mark on all ports (using a vernier caliper and tip extension)

The heads look like they are fly cut at the factory to ensure mounting height of plugs is all the same. or something.

I checked it our fairly well before I started, estimating distances from deck height etc, but the photos I have really do suggest something is out of skew on this head.

Not going to spend too much time on this now, just going to set port top height to 51.5 mm and open up the bottom a bit more.

More heads coming, will start a new thread and try and do a real build on em.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ive been playing round with a couple of buick heads roughing out some test ports.flow bench was so helpfull ive gained a heap of flow just getting the air to exit around more of the valve than stock.they were pretty bad for favouring the port floor and only about 1/3rd of the valve really flowed a decient amount of air.
DSC_0051_zps7afe5720.jpg

DSC_0077_zpsb05b65db.jpg

DSC_0073_zps5a5d83a4.jpg

DSC_0047_zps566a2476.jpg

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I've done something very similair on the ughotec inlets.

I know that boundary layer flow makes the exhaust tend to stick to the port floor a bit, but genereally the gas flow should head more to the port roof than the floor, as it's pressurised around the valve, and will flow in a doughnut shape out around the valve opening itself, then get guided back to run almost along the valve stem.

I think that spending heaps of effort on the port floor will be wasteful, hence working the port roof.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think those Walker ecotec manifolds ever went into production so I doubt you will ever find one.

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Port matched correctly with l67 gaskets a small cathedral arch porting and removing some meat from valve stem and a small convex behind the seats , mace spacers and stock throttle and a lil boost 350 hp is cheap and easy ,for anyone interested I'm building a variable capacity long ram plenum and slide throttle for l36 but I need a new metal melting sticking thingy ! the manifold sorta works like an Su or ISO carby so it'll have response and top end no throttle body needed

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
6x fly by wire tb's mounted directly on variable length servo controlled runners?

No plenum.