Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Ecotec intake manifold, restrictive at 291rwhp

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I used to make 125 of those lower manifolds per 8hr shift.
Diecaster.

Be a long shot, but are you able to make a manifold to fit an M90 or M62 on a Series 2 Buick?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Yeh, nah.
Have had parkinsons for 10yrs. Just don't trust myself to work with dangerous things anymore.

Surely, 3d printing aluminium can't be too far away for general public then we can all safely go nuts with our ideas.

A Diecaster could definitely make the part but the price for just one would be mental.

I reckon machining from billet would be way more affordable for a single item.

Tip. The cast parts have significant porosity issues that resulted in many rejected castings. Rather than melt and remake, the production line would peen the leakers and send them to holden. Parts that couldn't be fixed with peening where given a high pressure impreg process and sent to holden. The impreg is only good for 2yrs.

Cast parts can be a real lottery.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So what you're saying is that there are a lot of ecotec Commodores out there with potential intake system leaks and weird idle issues.....

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
F' yeh. And not like 1%.

More like 10-20%.

This was the mid 90's though.

Porosity can be severe around the pcv and we only used to xray 1 part per hour. Which is 1 in 40 roughly.

Sorry to be a downer but it is what it is. I still love the old ecotecs and buicks though.

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Looks good woteva but its purpose is only top end and one throttle position but watch their boosted setup move Ye ha ! I build motors but if I could afford it the built turbo pack they sell I'd buy! but that's the reality of not being a rip off mechanic,I have to cheap out on mine lol

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Still using an oem tps off the main throttle slide and basically it covers ports like a slide choke with the inside of plenum pushing away under boost doubling its capacity its a back shelf project as I don't have a tig or management option yet and putting a maf in front of it would be pointless anyway, it might go on next motor if needed but it's was only really a manifold meant for a atmo BMW 318i l36 track car and I got stuck with it and figured it'd be better with boost

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
In my experience with speedway engines the stock manifold with port matching can run 300hp at the wheels at 7000rpm.
When testing the inlet manifold on a flow bench we found that when removing the throttle body it made no difference in flow until you removed the lid. Indicating the throat behind the throttle body is a restriction.

I have also cut two plenums and joined them together to make a taller one and also increased the throat size behind the throttle body. Still yet to test on a engine yet.

As you can see in my profile pic. I am very slowly building an intake for a blown side mount engine to go in my vt.

Is the cam timing correct?

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Most around here are making about 250wheel but one in particular is making 325 u should hear the thing sing