Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Intake Manifold!

YRUHATIN

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ Clubsport - VB SLE 5L - VH SL V8 - VS Stato
Hi everyone!

I am no mechanic but I like to take on a mechanical challenge every now and then.

I have recently purchased a clean VS Statesman (Series 2 im pretty sure off the top of my head) with 500xxx kms. The engine that was in it had a broken roller on one of the lifters and cause cam damage and lifter bore damage. So I decided it would be a good idea to replace the motor, as it is cheaper and easier. So I found a series 2 VT with a healthy motor which I purchased and pulled the motor from.

I changed most of the gaskets on the engine, along with the intake manifold gaskets that sit on the heads and I made sure i put that gasket sealant stuff on the corners. Now when I cleaned up the manifold I noticed a rust hole in the manifold, so i decided to use the vs manifold instead. After I ran the motor for a couple of minutes, I noticed that the engine oil had gone really milky.

I know that I got the correct gaskets for the engine because the parts store needed my engine number to make sure that they gave me the correct one so thats not the issue. However, I have spoken to a mechanic and have looked on the forums and I have come to the conclusion that the vs and the vt manifolds are different. The mechanic reckons that is why it is getting coolant in the oil.

Now I have a couple of questions that I need answers to because after searching for the past week, I havent been able to find anything on the internet.

Question 1: Would I be getting coolant in the oil because of the VS manifold on the VT engine?

Question 2: Would any VT manifold (Series 1 or series 2) with EGR (I know that I have to block off the EGR) fit on the VT series 2 motor that I have installed?

Question 3: Do the MACE metal intake manifolds fit on any ecotec, or are there specific ones for each model?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for those that can help me!

Kind regards,
YRUH8N

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Did you make any progress with this? Sorry, I have no info.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The manifolds are interchangeable, the differences are the EGR port on the later manifolds and then the altered PCV valve.

Maybe you didn't torque the manifold down in the correct sequence?

YRUHATIN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you make any progress with this? Sorry, I have no info.
I have put the other manifold on but havent fully put it all back together as of yet. Will keep you updated!

YRUHATIN

Reaction score
Members Ride
The manifolds are interchangeable, the differences are the EGR port on the later manifolds and then the altered PCV valve.

Maybe you didn't torque the manifold down in the correct sequence?
I know the first time I didn't but this time I have so we will see what happens today! Will keep yous updated!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This should help.

Attachments

• LIM gaskets_bolt pattern.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 158

YRUHATIN

Reaction score
Members Ride
This should help.

Quick question when using a torque wrench, when they say 10-14nm, do you go in the middle and go 12 or what? Why wouldn't they just have a specific torque spec? And also what happens if you over tighten them a little bit cause 10-14 doesn't seem like it's tight enough unless I'm doing it wrong

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's the million dollar question. Personally, I do these manifold bolts in a couple of stages and actually finish with 15Nm. Don't forget to put some sort of loctite on the bolts, because they aren't torqued up very tight they tend to come loose. I'm guessing the reason they aren't torqued very tight is because of the factory plastic gaskets used, I'm sure if using the alloy style gaskets from Mace a few extra Nm won't hurt.

Just make sure the mating surfaces are clean so the rubber inlays in the gasket seal properly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I put a spray of RP7 on the gaskets. It helps when you slide it into position as you don't always line it up spoton first time.

YRUHATIN

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's the million dollar question. Personally, I do these manifold bolts in a couple of stages and actually finish with 15Nm. Don't forget to put some sort of loctite on the bolts, because they aren't torqued up very tight they tend to come loose. I'm guessing the reason they aren't torqued very tight is because of the factory plastic gaskets used, I'm sure if using the alloy style gaskets from Mace a few extra Nm won't hurt.

Just make sure the mating surfaces are clean so the rubber inlays in the gasket seal properly.

Yeah okay so Should I start at say 9nm then 12nm then 15nm? Are the mace gaskets better? If it doesn't work this time then I'll be getting a set of those to try them