Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec into VN

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
the s1 Vn has a Manifold Air Temp (MAT)sensor fitted at the back of the inlet manifold under the elbow where the TB is connected, the later ecotec runs an air inlet temp sensor which is fitted in the air box. you will need to fit the MAT sensor to the ecotec inlet manifold (plenum). attached is a photo of the back of the VN intake manifold, the very bottom sensor(blue plug) is the coolant temp sensor for the ECU, the sensor thats at the start of the intake runner is the MAT sensor(grey plug) the other little sensor with the black plug and green wire is the temp sesor for the temp gauge. hope this helps. will try and get a pic of the ecotec temp sensor when the missus gets home in the VS

THANKS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Ok well, I have my money for the conversion...

Tomorrow go out with a friend to a wreckers and start comparing looms etc...

Cheers
MaT

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
hey hozy why dont you want to run sequential injection??? you get a massive power gain and better fuel economy with it??? i think your better off putting a vs manual computer in

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
It's a matter of money mate...... And things like that eg: manual computer etc, can be done later down the track, for now. I just need the motor in an running.

Cheers
MaT

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The coolant temp sensor on the ecotec is on the front of the engine just under the thermostat. The ecotec uses a 3/8 npt thread where the buick is an 8mm metric thread. To overcome this in my car I have drilled & tapped a 3/8 to 1/8 reducing bush & used as an adaptor. If you get stuck I could make one up for you for under $10.
The fuel lines on the ecotec are designed to clip on the steel fuel lines, however the earlier model cars dont have the right connections & there is a bit of messing around to get them fitted. While the main pressure line will take a 5/16 fuel line when it is disconnected from the rail end, the return line is smaller. You will need to leave the nylon inner on the barb on this one & push the 5/16 return line over it.
There is a difference in the sizes for the vacuum hoses as well. While one will need blocking the hose for the map sensor you will need to either a drill & tap a fitting or tee it off the brake vacuum hose.
The rest will be pretty much straight forward.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Is the firing pattern the same in ecotec & buick v6...
Will i be able to drive it home on the ATFY tune until i get a proper one made up?

Cheers
MaT

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
The coolant temp sensor on the ecotec is on the front of the engine just under the thermostat. The ecotec uses a 3/8 npt thread where the buick is an 8mm metric thread. To overcome this in my car I have drilled & tapped a 3/8 to 1/8 reducing bush & used as an adaptor. If you get stuck I could make one up for you for under $10.
The fuel lines on the ecotec are designed to clip on the steel fuel lines, however the earlier model cars dont have the right connections & there is a bit of messing around to get them fitted. While the main pressure line will take a 5/16 fuel line when it is disconnected from the rail end, the return line is smaller. You will need to leave the nylon inner on the barb on this one & push the 5/16 return line over it.
There is a difference in the sizes for the vacuum hoses as well. While one will need blocking the hose for the map sensor you will need to either a drill & tap a fitting or tee it off the brake vacuum hose.
The rest will be pretty much straight forward.

Hey mate, if i deposit you $10 you rekon u could make me one up? and send it down to me, need it by saturday week... So it'd just have to screw the adapter in then the sensor in.

Cheers
MaT

P.S- Mate, You able to take photo's of the loom? and do u know what'd need modifyin?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The loom I have had made up is for speedway & wont have a lot of the wires that you have for the road car. Using your old buick loom you will need to lengthen the coolant sensor & MAT sensor wiring. I am not sure if the plugs for the IAC & TPS are the same. If so these will also need modifying for the different position of the throttle body. The cam angle sensor on the ecotec will not need to be connected.
If I was you I would be doing all the wiring while the engine is out as it will be easier. As for photos I only have dial up so I will have to try get to a mates computer to get them posted.
If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.
BTW the atfy memcal that you are running is the one that I will be trialling for speedway. According to greenfoam it should be one of the better memcals for this purpose.
PM me your address and I will make the adaptor up tomorrow. I have to make one for another guy up here so I will do one for you at the same time.
Cheers MICK

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
The loom I have had made up is for speedway & wont have a lot of the wires that you have for the road car. Using your old buick loom you will need to lengthen the coolant sensor & MAT sensor wiring. I am not sure if the plugs for the IAC & TPS are the same. If so these will also need modifying for the different position of the throttle body. The cam angle sensor on the ecotec will not need to be connected.
If I was you I would be doing all the wiring while the engine is out as it will be easier. As for photos I only have dial up so I will have to try get to a mates computer to get them posted.
If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.
BTW the atfy memcal that you are running is the one that I will be trialling for speedway. According to greenfoam it should be one of the better memcals for this purpose.
PM me your address and I will make the adaptor up tomorrow. I have to make one for another guy up here so I will do one for you at the same time.
Cheers MICK

PM sent mate :)

OK I'm having 2 tunes madeup... 1 for VS 19lb injectors, 1 for VT 22lb injectors.

You are working on the adaptor for me :) SWEET!

Everything is getting there... SHITYEAH!

Cheers
MaT

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Motor $500 + Alternator + Starter motor + Power steering resevoir + steel Fuel lines + Fanbelt + Oil + Filter + VS Headers + VS Y piece + VS catback Live axel system + coolant temp sensor adaptor + VS Heater hoses + 5ltr kickdown cable + Upper VS radiator hose + VS High pressure power steering hose

Whole days work! Morning til Evening... Saturday 7th October hopefully

AND!

I have an m90 To use..... Hmmmmmm *Cue evil laugh* Muahahahahahaha! *
Prob wont get put on til xmas time, needa find a kit/gas research setup for a blower + duel fuel.

Cheers
MaT

Last edited: