Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec into VN

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Hey all...

Putting a Ecotec 6 into my VN.

I'm using the VN ECU & loom, Patching on the VS enginebay loom to the VN one. (I dont need sequential injection)

I'm running a MAP sensor instead of a MAF

I need a V8 kickdown cable

I need an upper radiator hose

What I really need to know, will the VN auto s2 box bolt straight up to the ecotec motor?!?!

Cheers
MaT

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ok, if memory serves me correct...your transmission would be a TH700 (now know as the 4L60) so it is essensially the same transmission as the 4L60E put behind the ecotec, just not electronically controlled.
so yes it would fit...as long as im right about it being a TH700 'box.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Yeh TH700 striaght bolt up :)

This going to be fun fun fun conversion!

Cheers
MaT

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lol, yeah man, should be sweet...all the best with the conversion.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Cheers man :)

Going standard VN ECU
Retuned Memcal
Patched Ecotec harness onto VN harness
Mechanical TH700 transmission instead of electronic 4l60e box.
Map sensor instead of Maf
Disabled sequential injection

Should go hard! very hard! 120rwkw approx stock with the Map sensor setup

Cheers
MaT

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Bloody awesome :D How much to you expect to spend on an ecotec motor?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
sounds good, i hear you also need to use the sensors from the old buick V6 on the ecotec to keep the inputs correct for the VN ecu. let us know how you go cause i'm still not decided on the engine thats going into the VK that i'm going to build for targa use but i'm planning on using a T5 manual box instead of the auto:yeah:

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Thats correct. The coolant temp sensor is different & will need an adaptor made to fit the ecotec block. Also the intake manifold will need tapping to fit the MAT sensor. It would be easier to modify the VN loom as only a few wires need re sizing rather than cut & join 2 looms.
Another issue is the fuel lines from the ecotec will need some mods to fit onto the VP steel lines.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
sounds good, i hear you also need to use the sensors from the old buick V6 on the ecotec to keep the inputs correct for the VN ecu. let us know how you go cause i'm still not decided on the engine thats going into the VK that i'm going to build for targa use but i'm planning on using a T5 manual box instead of the auto:yeah:

So i need to use the original buick sensors?!?!? I can't just rig up the ecotec ones.

Cheers
MaT

Thats correct. The coolant temp sensor is different & will need an adaptor made to fit the ecotec block. Also the intake manifold will need tapping to fit the MAT sensor. It would be easier to modify the VN loom as only a few wires need re sizing rather than cut & join 2 looms.
Another issue is the fuel lines from the ecotec will need some mods to fit onto the VP steel lines.

Coolant temp sensor? Can anyone show me a pics of where this is on the ecotec block? Intake manifold? Do u mean the plenum, Where is there a sensor in that? Or does one need to be fitted.

Vp steel lines?!? I got a VN s1 mate....

Cheers
MaT

EDIT:

Another thing I've just remembered. Ecotec's run hotter hey?!?!? I might finally get rid of my pod filter...

Cheers
MaT

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the s1 Vn has a Manifold Air Temp (MAT)sensor fitted at the back of the inlet manifold under the elbow where the TB is connected, the later ecotec runs an air inlet temp sensor which is fitted in the air box. you will need to fit the MAT sensor to the ecotec inlet manifold (plenum). attached is a photo of the back of the VN intake manifold, the very bottom sensor(blue plug) is the coolant temp sensor for the ECU, the sensor thats at the start of the intake runner is the MAT sensor(grey plug) the other little sensor with the black plug and green wire is the temp sesor for the temp gauge. hope this helps. will try and get a pic of the ecotec temp sensor when the missus gets home in the VS

Attachments

• VN sensors 002.jpg
    VN sensors 002.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 1,110
  • VN sensors 001.jpg
    VN sensors 001.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 874