Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC into VZ

L67sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VY L67 SC
Or raise the car up high enough drop the whole lot out the bottom kframe and struts etc.

I think that’s a bit quicker and easier but not everyone has the ability to get some height on the car.
I wish i could.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Or raise the car up high enough drop the whole lot out the bottom kframe and struts etc.

I think that’s a bit quicker and easier but not everyone has the ability to get some height on the car.
That’s how we used to do it in my wrecking yard days. Could drop out a whole front assembly in about 20-30 minutes. Of course it helps when you aren’t putting anything back together so can just cut the wiring etc and just drop it on the ground.

Of course if you do it that way you also need to be able to remove the car from over the top of it otherwise it’s a PITA to drag the whole assembly out from under the car.

L67sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VY L67 SC
Update on the alloytec.
I found it alot easier to disconnect at flywheel/torque converter.
Main bearings were majorly starved of oil and very shiny haha
Finally got it all cleaned up and reconditioned. Thanks for all the advice a tips much appreciated guys..

MonsterdoreVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 + S2 V6
Not easy, definitely not impossible. My dad put a Ecotech engine in my old vz, concerted to manual. It's simple, as long as you know what you're doing.

Also, might be easier on buying a shell with the motor or a fucked up vy and transfer everything immaculate in etc.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Still can’t be registered. Consigned to a paddock basher for ever more.

john10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive ii 5.7L
I have been looking everywhere and still cant find much information.
I have a 04 VZ sedan on my second ALLOYTEC engine.
Its body and interior are immaculate condition. has been really looked after.
I want to put an ecotec in it.
I have sust a 03 VY to buy.
but i want to know if it will be as simple as, alloytec out, Ecotec in. with wiring loom ect.

im not fussed about not geting about the not getting it registered issue, its registered so i don't have to get it checked over.

please, just after a bit of advice
If I were you, I would buy a VY and transfer all of your immaculate parts onto the VY. You wouldn't have a problem because the VZ and the VY are practically the same car with an engine change and a minor facelift.

Bigddddaaaddddyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 3.6L 5A
Wish me luck, I’m attempting this with a supercharged engine because it worked out to be half the cost of a 5l40-e tranny that decided to die on me a the other car is a write off but you wouldn’t think it

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Wish me luck, I’m attempting this with a supercharged engine because it worked out to be half the cost of a 5l40-e tranny that decided to die on me a the other car is a write off but you wouldn’t think it
It’s a shame that most of the 5l40e Commodores are going to end up at the wrecking yard. It’s just too damn expensive to get the trans rebuild on them.

Bigddddaaaddddyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 3.6L 5A
It’s a shame that most of the 5l40e Commodores are going to end up at the wrecking yard. It’s just too damn expensive to get the trans rebuild on them.
I almost had a heart attack when I finally found a tranny… 3k and I had give them my old one plus a 4 1/2 hour drive just to get to it… $1500 for a working complete commy that I could simply put my plates on until the weather heats up and everyone would be none the wiser unless they were actually looking for the subtle differences between the vy and vz
But the exhaust would tip people off