Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec mace bolt-on products review

red boonie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB sl
G'day all,
Bernie's my name.A few months back i picked up a nice Vt Calais for my daily,beautifull car to drive,very comfortable,all the bells and whistles,leather and so on.150,000 k's full log books. However it needed a little more grunt! (bit boring coming from some pretty quick cars i've owned over the years) I have used a couple of Mace products before on my ute(Vr)and was very happy with them,so i decided to give the ecotec a new lease of life!:spot on:
Righto! after reading stacks of info,and a chat with Steve from mace(top bloke) i puchased and fitted in order of recommendation:
1:9:1 ratio rockers
25mm manifold spacer
12mm plenum spacer
69mm throttle body
memcal tuned to suit the above mods,and premium fuel
mace cold air intake
Now i have fitted these one by one over a number of weeks,so i could get a better read for eachfrom the buttdyno.I should also say after buying the car first thing i did was buy a lukey cat back system,this made a nice difference on its own!
Ok,first mace mod,1:9:1 rockers,easy install and made a very nice difference,mid range and top end felt stronger,revved out cleaner too! I drove around for a week or so enjoying the exta poke.I live in rural Nth Qld,everywhere i drive involves highway driving,so i'm doing 0-100's all over the place,and i use markers in relation to speed, to guage any performance gains.And i can tell you it was quicker already to the markers:thumbsup:

Next was the25mm spacer,Well,got quite a surprise as soon as i left the driveway,much more low end response(torque) very Noticeable! Best way i can describe it is the car suddenly felt lighter i guess,just drove away so much easier....good complement to the rockers.

Another week or so i fitted the plenum spacer.Sraight away it idled nicer,seemed to rev smoother.Not as noticeable an increase like the others but the benifits are there. Drove around like that for a couple of weeks like that All the time noticeing how much more powerfull the car feels.Had to remove engine cover and trim the bonnet liner though for clearance.

Last week i fitted the memcal and the throttle body,was looking forward to this,and they did make a difference! Even more responsive,the engine sounds sweeter too.Best of all though the driveability is so much better! before the tune it needed a big prod on the accellerator for quick gearbox response(auto) Now though its up on its tippy toes ready to respond,especially in power mode.Awell as improved gearbox function,the engine is even smoother and more effortless in normal driving.

Today i fitted the CAI,knowing what was going to happen.It sounds GREAT:dance:

So to sum up: NO it won't pop a mono......or turn the rear tyres into a molten mess.And NO it's not a V8.

I can tell you though,for simple bolt on mods,my HEAVY old Vt v6 now feels pretty bloody good for what it is!

Thank's again Steve.You sir,run a very good business:rockon:
Cheers Bernie.

Atreidae

(Was an) Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SIDI
Cost all up of mods?

red boonie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB sl
Glad to year you're happy with it all Bernie :)

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,yeh,very happy mate!!

Atreiday, cost for everything including exhaust was around the $1500 mark.Not too bad if you say it real quick:whistling

NFNSUS, dyno would be good! not in my plans for the short term though.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Nice one Bernie , I have similar mods to my VX and will be ordering some roller rockers at some stage as well , just to finish it off .

red boonie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB sl
Nice one Bernie , I have similar mods to my VX and will be ordering some roller rockers at some stage as well , just to finish it off .

^^ Thank's mate! The rockers are a good investment,no question:thumbsup:
I'd like to add,fuel consumtion,while its early days,seems to be slightly better.Providing i can keep my right foot out of it all the time.Considering the extra performance,i'm happy with that!

Vt calais is best part of 1700kg, I can imagine these mods in a live axle VS with a good couple hundred kilos less.:driving:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
^^ Thank's mate! The rockers are a good investment,no question:thumbsup:
I'd like to add,fuel consumtion,while its early days,seems to be slightly better.Providing i can keep my right foot out of it all the time.Considering the extra performance,i'm happy with that!

Vt calais is best part of 1700kg, I can imagine these mods in a live axle VS with a good couple hundred kilos less.:driving:
Absolutely , I have every thing else but the rockers , it is a challenge not to plant it , primarily because I like to hear my intake growl , and exhaust bark , but if driven within limits , it is surprisingly economical .

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just ordered the rockers this afternoon , looking forward to their arrival , will be interesting what benefits I get from them along with my current mods , cold air intake , throttle body , insulator , plenum spacer , PCM tune , headers and exhaust , should be good .