Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec MAF sensor limitation

bundysmurf

USEF!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Just wondering if someone could tell me the limit of a standard MAF for an ecotec?

How is this expressed......is it a power figure (can this be reasonably deduced becausee it takes x amount of air to make y amount of power?) or is it like grams of air per second??

I see quite a few fairly powerful sixes on this forum, are they still runing a MAF system or have they swapped over to MAP?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
The maf maxes out in grams per second of air. However as far as i know the stock MAF maxes out of its range at around 180rwkw. I have 200rwkw but i am running an LS1 maf, if the ecotec one maxes out, LS1 MAF is the cheapest & easiest alternative.

bundysmurf

USEF!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Ah yes well that is why old mate tuning my car was saying the MAF was at its limit at about 250rwhp. Is the LS1 a straight swap? ie no tuning etc required and whats it good for in comparison to the v6 one?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
The MAF itself is a straight plug in job, but will require tuning for it to work right. You will also have to open up the intake piping as the LS1 MAF is 90mm where as the stock ecotec one is only 76mm. So, essentially you kill 2 birds with one stone, you have a MAF that will not max out and free up the intake a bit by having a bigger MAF. Well, no one i know of has maxed out the LS1 MAF and there are a few cars running around with 230-250 rwkw. I dont think you will ever max out an LS1 MAF on a V6 with anything other less a Whipple.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I heard a similer thing to what "Blown V6 Hatch" said.
They max out reading at about 180rwkw then it's just a flat reading from then on no matter how much you increase the airflow, mainly a problem with force induction cars as not many N/A cars will exceed 180rwkw unless they have massive mods.
By the way I believe the LS1 maf is good up to about 230rwkw which should satisfy most V6's.

bundysmurf

USEF!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
So the way I understand it the MAF sensor put out a voltage dependent on the air flow which is measured by the cooling effect it has on the hot wire setup. Does this mean if i measure the output of my MAF when at full throttle I can tell how close I am to maxing it out?

I think I may be worrying about nothing anyway, I think my setup makes a lot more power for the given airflow then it would if it was untuned and obviously the limit of the MAF is in airflow not power (as you can have differing power levels for a given flow depending how efficiently you use it).

Supporting this theory is the fact that the likes of IBLOWN and others are running 10psi+ which has got to be a lot more airflow and they report the mixtures as being ok.

If I am mistaken in any of my asumptions please correct me but I'm hoping I'm right becaue I feel ive almost gone as far as I can with this setup (within reason) and would hate to have to stuff around changing MAFs and tunes again when all I want is another 3.5 pound of boost (10psi). With this and a CAI bonnet scoop im hoping to see 200rwkw+....fingers crossed::w00t:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
By the way I believe the LS1 maf is good up to about 230rwkw which should satisfy most V6's.

im not disagreeing with you, as i dont know for sure myself, but ive been told a few times that the gen lll maf will handle 400hp at the rears before you max it out.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
So the way I understand it the MAF sensor put out a voltage dependent on the air flow which is measured by the cooling effect it has on the hot wire setup. Does this mean if i measure the output of my MAF when at full throttle I can tell how close I am to maxing it out?

the MAF output is a frequency, you need to get a scan tool on it & see what the reading is at max airflow.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
im not disagreeing with you, as i dont know for sure myself, but ive been told a few times that the gen lll maf will handle 400hp at the rears before you max it out.

You maybe right but 300rwkw (400rwhp) is pretty high even for an LS1 with a maf, most have gone Map by the time they reach those figures.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Not sure on the max tho can u do a mafless tune on a ecotec? Faulty Map Sensor cause bad manifold pressure and excessive fuel consumption

Last edited: