Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec missing just of idle

Bugsy27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn calais
Hiya Brett, I done the paperclip test this morning and the only thing that came up was

29 EGR position sensor fault

So maybe the egr valve is stuck so next stage is rip that off and check it out.

Okay pulled out the EGR valve and all seemed fre and working so I mad a 1.2 mm plate steel blanking plate and put that in between the EGR valve and the manifold, bolted her backup and plugged the egr valve back in,(but now doing nothing). And at this stage all appears excellent took her out for a couple of runs today, and its never gone better, so far very happy.
Will update in a day or so.
Cheers

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yep, that'll do it if its jammed open slightly etc, good to hear its running properly again anyway... The error codes are always the first thing that should be cheked on these vehicles if theyre having any running problems.Cheers.

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
I have exactly the same fault in my VT II, started a month ago, replaced everything (plugs, fuel filter, leads, ignition coils), unplugged EGR, some mornings it wil lgo for 20 minutes before it misses off idle, over 2K and its fine.... bloody anoying!

Thanks for posting some excellent advice I will be checking the diagnostic error codes tonight.

Sid

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
So an update on my VT doing exactly the same thing, no fault codes, cleaned and checked IAC, pulled injectors off and had a look but nothing obvious, checked plug gaps set them to the minimum, disconnected EGR for a week but no difference, will try blocking it off.

Key thing is runs perfect for the first 15 minutes then starts playing up... what is significant about the timing? Warm up? Algorithm change?
Not much left to check or change (TPS, EGR, Injectors perhaps). Car has 240K on it always looked after and oil/filter every 5000klm. Gearbox oil/filter every 50K

So far:
plugs, leads, 3 coils, fuel filter, cleaned out throttle body and IAC, checked injectors, vacuum lines.

Any ideas?