Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Motor going into a boat

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Are those 02 sensors in the exhaust manifolds going to see salt water? I don't think they're going to like that very much.....

Nope the 02 sensors go through the water jacket in a dry place and are totally separated from salt/sea water and will stay dry. The manifold coolant (sea water) then mixes with the exhaust gasses further down the system before exiting with the exhaust.

Cheers Andy

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
As mentioned earlier on here The oil filter stuck out too far and would hit on the boat stringers when fitted.

Looked at several different solutions to solving this problem including remotely mounting the filter elsewhere and running pipes to it, and also cutting away part of the stringer to give it some clearance.

This is what I decided to do to fix the problem

First of all I needed a block of aluminium which I didn't have any the correct size.
So I fired up my home built Kiln and poured some molten Alloy into an old coffee tin roughly the right dimensions.
Did a couple of these so I have a backup if I stuffed the first one.

100_1954.jpg~original

Next I machined the coffee tin off using the lathe to expose the alloy inside.

100_1959.jpg~original

Then I machined the rounded surfaces needed and then put it in the mill to drill out and tap the oil galleries. Also while I was playing with the mill I decided some cooling fins and engraving could look cool.

100_1961.jpg~original

This is the filter mount Before

100_1963.jpg~original

And After

100_1962.jpg~original

Unfortunately My skills at doing letters free hand in the mill need a tad more practice but the end result is quiet acceptable and it should do what it needs too.
One day I may have to upgrade the mill to full CNC LOL

Cheers Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
getting closer now as the motor is all back together nice and fresh.

The only thing left to do is finish the sump and the oil pickup re-location then motor wise it is done.

next will be to fit the drive coupling to the flywheel and an adapter for it to bolt up to the mercruiser then it will be time to start fitting it in and sorting out the electrics etc.

here she is will probably paint the top cover black once it's all fitted

100_1972.jpg~original

100_1973.jpg~original

100_1974.jpg~original

Cheers Andy

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Hey Andy,

Great job and hope it goes well out where your place in the food chain changes dramatically.:shutup:

Anyway, I was thinking with the flywheel stuff you just went through and I'm no expert, but wouldn't you need only a flex plate in a boat?

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Hey Andy,

Great job and hope it goes well out where your place in the food chain changes dramatically.:shutup:

Anyway, I was thinking with the flywheel stuff you just went through and I'm no expert, but wouldn't you need only a flex plate in a boat?

MMMM yes and no LOL

The flex plate would have run but remember they also have a heavy torque converter bolted to them which gives added weight.

I tested My Hilux with the same engine in it and unbolted the torque converter, it ran and idled ok but it wasn't smooth, the revs also fluctuated too much, I felt it was going to stall too easy.
This in a boat would be an issue while just idling down a creek doing the 5-knot speed limit. The engine I think will need the flywheel momentum to keep the thing idling under load.

Cheers Andy

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Did the final bit to the engine today being the sump and the oil pickup.

Because the motor cam from a Commodore the sump well was at the front of the engine and with the motor going in a boat it thought the well and the oil pickup would be better suited at the rear.

Wouldn't want the motor starving of oil while the bow is pointing at the sky.

The sump is all alloy so I cut it up and welded some alloy checker plate in to get the shape and capacity I needed.

The ball valve is my quick change oil method, I can put a hose on it and feed it out through the bung hole into a bucket to change the engine oil.

Much better than draining in to the bilge and then washing the muck out.

100_1988.jpg~original

Cheers Andy

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Well today Carol went out with the girls to have Hot X Buns and coffee and the kids went to Nanna and Pops so I had the day to myself.

with that I decided to get stuck in to the Boat first was to fire her up just to hear it run for the last time and take a pick (date stamped for next week for the Ebay advert it was wrong and forgot to change it so cant sell before that date LOL.

100_1987.jpg~original

100_1984.jpg~original

Then it was time to start ripping stuff out.

100_1991.jpg~original

Gave the motor a real good clean and was amazed how well it came up as it looks brand new and there’s no corrosion anywhere.

100_1995.jpg~original

then it was time to get into the bilge this is a before pic of all the crap in there LOL.
You couldn't see down here while the old motor was fitted but i new it would be bad as I had stuck my hand down there a few times for a feel around. It was about an inch thick of dreid up jelly type sludge.

100_1994.jpg~original

spent 3 hours cleaning the engine bay and this is the end result of soap water, scraper, wire brush, pressure washer etc etc.

To my amazement I found a 9/16 combination spanner and a 1/2 inch socket 4 hose clamps and nuemerous busted cable ties and stuff all burried in the muck The spanners wern't mine so they must belong to one of the 2 previous owners but they were well preserved LOL

100_1997.jpg~original

Nearly past the point of no return Cheers Andy

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Wow... That came up absolutely amazing mate.

Looks really good.