Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec noise

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn vacationer auto v6 sedan
Further to my problem , drove car up to wall of house in drive put foot on brake and reved it , noise was not very noticable , same as on idle , only seems to have this vbad clacking noise on excelleration as revs build up , after a second or two it seems as if the lifters or whatever catch up and quiet down somewhat ! , thats if it is the lifters , ta....

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Lifters are pretty common. Not a big job to replace them.

I'd be making sure the exhaust manifold isnt cracked as alot of them crack. Does it tick louder when you put more load on the motor?

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
No definatley not exhaust , when i put load on (revs) in nautral yes its worse but as said in drive with brakes not so bad , sorry forgot to mention ! , after flush and oil change oil light came on , stopped car light went off and reflushed and added new oil/filter since then driven around a fair bit , (city/highway) it hasnt come back on , but now im paranoid about the noise ! , ta.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
No definatley not exhaust , when i put load on (revs) in nautral yes its worse but as said in drive with brakes not so bad , sorry forgot to mention ! , after flush and oil change oil light came on , stopped car light went off and reflushed and added new oil/filter since then driven around a fair bit , (city/highway) it hasnt come back on , but now im paranoid about the noise ! , ta.

Oil light came on? When? Before or after the ticking?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
I hope the ticking isnt an oil pressure related problem.

I'd still be inclined to say its just a lifter.

I once had a dead lifter. Started ticking then got worse and worse. Got to the point where it sounded like the rocker arm was hitting the rocker cover and the engine was missing because the valve it was trying to open wasnt opening or closing properly.

That same day i put engine flush through it, changed the oil and added Nulon lifter free. Lifter free'd up after about 5 mins and i never heard a peep out of it again.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yeah, i'd recommend some lifter free as well. worked for me.

the other thing it can be is the rear bearing on the balance shaft. my VN had this from the day i bought it. sounded like it came from the exhaust. got worse a while ago. in the end i removed the balance shaft and the noise went away. problem solved. if you have a screw driver long enough. have a listen at the back of the motor, right in the centre line of the valley just behind the intake manifold

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Took car round to mate who works at wreckers ,and for what its worth , at first he reckons lifters , then reved it up and then said probably more than that cos its done a lot of km's and prob on the way out ! , but reckons just drive it around normal and might last for a fair while yet !

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Yeah she'll be right mate. Mine rattles its tits off when I drive it past a wall and get to hear it properly...like ppl said could be lotsa things. Timing chain, balancer bearing, belt tensioner/pulley etc
I reckon for me its all of the above LOL
Stick with 20w-50 oil and if it still has balls when you boot it, then no worries.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Well mine is kind of quiet under 3000RPM, anything about that and it makes a very loud noise, it's got a stock exhaust new one.
All the other VS-VT's i've been in are whisper quiet, you could floor it and goto 6000RPM and still sound smooth as.

What's the biggest contributor, timing chain?