Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec noise

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn vacationer auto v6 sedan
Hi , my vs has a pretty loud lifter noise , at least i reckon lifters , when driving past a wall or parked close to car one can easily hear it. the noise increases with rpm , hardly audible in car though ! , its done 300th-k + , ive had it for over 3 years and change oil regularly , engine itself uses no oil or water nor does it get hot . i thought with increasing rpm noise would abate somewhat !, hope its not a spun bearing or something like that , wondering should i try thicker or thinner oil , ta.

Matty o

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VU SS UTE
does it have extractors????? this can cause it apparently

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
typical V6 worn timing chain and snapped off tensioner or pulley bearings or balance shaft bearings its a horrible noise my buicks done 50000km or more with no tensioner it snapped off and got noisey the day i got it

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for reply , no extractors , a while ago head gaskets needed doing , water mixed with oil , but was hardly driven in that condition , oil was flushed twice and filter replaced and head gaskets done , ive been paranoid about bearing probs since ! but noise seems definatly to be comming from top of motor car runs great, good idle , good compression , just wondering with increased km should i go to thicker oil , ta..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
typical V6 worn timing chain and snapped off tensioner or pulley bearings or balance shaft bearings its a horrible noise my buicks done 50000km or more with no tensioner it snapped off and got noisey the day i got it

What the hell have you been smokin lately?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thanks for reply , no extractors , a while ago head gaskets needed doing , water mixed with oil , but was hardly driven in that condition , oil was flushed twice and filter replaced and head gaskets done , ive been paranoid about bearing probs since ! but noise seems definatly to be comming from top of motor car runs great, good idle , good compression , just wondering with increased km should i go to thicker oil , ta..

I wouldn't worry about it....don't drive near a wall!. Wait till you get proper signs like overheating etc as you mention. When I worked in New Guinea the loacls had a good saying: "you worry - you bugger-up" Enjoy the drive.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You blokes mention this horrible noise,my ecotec makes a terrible noise when driving alongside a concrete wall or whatever where the sound is reflected back,and it sort of sounds like the exhaust manifold has a leak,but Ive been to two different exhaust places and had them go over it because I couldnt find any leaks,and neither could they,the noise is sort of indescribable.Ive got pacemaker extractors ,but its always made this noise since Ive had it,even back when it had the standard exhaust manifolds it did it..The engine was fully reconditioned when I got it,its now done 150,000 km with oil and filter changes done every 5000k's.Ive just fitted new injectors and a few other things,its running better than ever so this noise doesnt seem to worry anything.Ive changed all the serpentine belt pulley bearings and a few other things chasing and trying to get rid of this noise with no luck.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You blokes mention this horrible noise,my ecotec makes a terrible noise when driving alongside a concrete wall or whatever where the sound is reflected back,and it sort of sounds like the exhaust manifold has a leak,but Ive been to two different exhaust places and had them go over it because I couldnt find any leaks,and neither could they,the noise is sort of indescribable.Ive got pacemaker extractors ,but its always made this noise since Ive had it,even back when it had the standard exhaust manifolds it did it..The engine was fully reconditioned when I got it,its now done 150,000 km with oil and filter changes done every 5000k's.Ive just fitted new injectors and a few other things,its running better than ever so this noise doesnt seem to worry anything.Ive changed all the serpentine belt pulley bearings and a few other things chasing and trying to get rid of this noise with no luck.

Are you my clone? LOL.

Same here, engine rebuilt, pacemakers, not exhaust gasket, can hear next to walls/cars/stuff, mechanics have no idea, and my ear is getting sore from having a screwdriver up against it from trying to find the noise.

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks again guy's , might get oil pressure checked just to be safe ! , where could i buy an oil presuure gauge at reasonable cost ? wouldnt mind having one around , is there any other tests i can do that might be of help , thanks.

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just answering my own question ! , bought one on ebay for 50$ , wanted one for years now i have a reason !