Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Ecotec oil pressure/ feed problem .....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i understand that mate, but you want the majority of the oil pressure/volume going to the mains as they are the most critical not the lifter galaries. by blocking the balance shaft rear bearing oil feed and opening up the passage in the rear cover plate should be more then enough for the lifter galary.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
I will be feeding the oil back into the same gallery the mains are fed from and letting the small cross over gallery in the rear plate handle the feed for the LH lifter gallery.
I am not touching the small cross over gallery in the rear plate, the whole purpose of running the equaliser pipe is to feed the mains from both ends, its a given that some of the oil from the tube will feed across to the L/H bank gallery but the bulk of it will feed the mains from the rear of the block aswell as the front of the block.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
The following photo's are from the engine i have just pulled down, these are the main caps and are numbered 1 through 4 left to right

Notice the increased wear the further you get away from the oil pump, the conrod bearings have this same wear like these further away from oil pump worse wear.

LEFT TO RIGHT 1 TO 4

#1 AN 2

#3 AN 4

This is what i am trying to help prevent by running another external gallery around the outside or the block and into the main bearing feed gallery in the rear plate.

I'd really like to hear from someone who has done a performance build on a v6 ecotec and see what they had done if anything, i do agree that this may not be a real bad issue but all of the v6's i have seen that have spun bearings have all done it on either #5 or#6 all the way at the back of the engine.

I am loading the engine up more than it is done on its stock form by turbo charging it and just dont want to have any issues with it later on, i cant really afford to be rebuilding all the time or replacing engines.

Maybe i am reading too far into it and worrying for nothing, is there a high volume oil pump available for these.

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
Have you thought about using the Intense Racing oil plate which allows you to relocate the oil filter? It also gives you the opportunity to fit a oil cooler.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Oil gallery mods

I think feeding both ends of the crank would be beneficial, at least help it to last longer :thumbsup:
With a oil pressure bump, it might even help it stay alive past 6500rpm :yeah:

I made a new pickup and externally feed the oil pump from the sump to oil filter housing on the last engine I built (see 3.8T wagon link).

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
we all know what them bearings turned out like idling with oil light flickering etc was it just use or was it the mods to the oil system

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
Those bearings came out of a stock as a rock granny driven ecotec.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah its a pretty perfect wear pattern the bearing we pulled out the vb look just the same and its had 14psi up it for a while now

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
ahh ok then, well thats probably a testament to the strength and reliability of these lil 6 poppers

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
IMGP4420.jpg