Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec on gas

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I'm only asking about ecotec as they have a waste spark ignition do blokes run them on gas only?
I was shown a nissan 6 today turbo dedicated gas with a 6AL ignition and 6 ls1 coils on it. It'd broken the keyway on the cam. I'm wondering if it tried to fire the wrong cylinder starting on gas. Apparently it was running fine then in the morning it went bang instead of starting.
New key way reset the timeing turned the motor over it seamed fine it started and ran.
Ive never heard of it happening to a holden how does ecotec aviod this.
As we didn't find why it happened Ill assume it will happen again anyone seen the keyway on a camsharft break nissan tb45

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My old mech used to run his VS on gas. I had to drive it once and it must have got low because it started backfiring like a bastard when i was off picking up parts.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
An ecotec is built like a tank. Pushrod means the cam isn’t riding directly on the valves. Cams don’t like very sudden changes in direction. The Ecotecs do backfire but don’t do engine damage.

I got my prado cheap due to an lpg backfire that damaged the cam and smashed a shim. Sounded horrible. Also wasted spark system, but poor maintenance was to blame.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Mine duel fuel, I believe if you want to go dedicated LPG then you will need to have a lpg tune or do a memcal chip upgrade, Ecotec are harder to start on straight lpg. Only time I had issues with backfire is from bad plug or coil, blew the airbox apart can also damage the honeycomb on the maf.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Converted many ecotecs to dual fuel and straight gas with no issues with waste spark . Biggest issues have been vacum leaks from gaskets to split hoses . Injector seals or just piss poor conversion work by other workshops from bad wiring incorrect earths or incorrect pick up of power and required signals from 02 to tps .