Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

klp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Commodore
Hey guys,
first time question here so take it easy with the jargon;
wanted to know am I better off getting a VY or a VZ? my price range is $10,000 tops
better off meaning reliability, cost, performance etc..

Cheers.

M

magnumv8

Mate, 10k will get you a lot and a late model-I pickec up my vy v6 ecotec equipe wagon-165k-service history and in great mechanical condition(needed a good cut/polish and a little tidy up in the interior) for around 4k.......10k should get you a vz berlina or calais-low k's, service history-dont rush, have cash and buy privately-dealers will shaft you on price and their warranty is less useful than dunny roll!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Personally I vote Ecotec. Bazillions of them, cheap parts, bullet-proof if maintained, most common faults and jobs are well documented and they make a better partner with the 4L60E if you go auto.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
+1 for Ecotec, but that's just me.
I've never liked the Alloytec for some reason, but probably because I've been in so many Ecotec powered Commodores and because I've worked on them more.

You should have a test drive in each, both a VY and VZ V6 then see what you like best!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I am actually in the same predicament at the moment , looking at getting a O5 VZ SV6 , my VX Ecotec still goes well , but ..... :unsure:

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
I owned a 175kw vz ute and I've got a ecotec vx ATM the vz felt smoother and used less fuel cause of the 6 speed manual, but at the end of the day the vx has been cheaper to maintain cause of how cheap parts and everything is, and the ecotec engine can take a beating and it keeps going, if you look after the alloytec you will be fine, but if you don't your up **** creek

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
could maybe be lucky and get a super6 for that price.
(s/c eco that is)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The Ecotec is a much simpler engine, built of cast iron, with no complex mechanical components, proven over many, many years in hundreds of thousands of cars. It is amazingly economical for an old nail and utterly reliable if treated properly (ie serviced regularly and not abused).

The Alloytec that you are considering was a new engine in the VZ, not as proven as the Ecotec and has been shown to have its problems, particularly with timing chains in some engines and various electronic sender units in the early models. It is less torquey than the Ecotec, meaning it requires a bit more throttle to give its best performance. Repairs are much more complex and even simple servicing such as changing spark plugs takes a good deal more time and effort than the Ecotec. The thermostat is a bitch to replace compared to the Ecotec.

The Alloytec should give better fuel consumption and performance as it is a more refined and powerful engine than the Ecotec. It really comes down to how well the car you buy has been treated and how well you look after it.

I agree that 10k will put you in a really schmick high spec VY or VZ, and even get you into a lower spec VE. However, the VE would be an early one and they had their share of probs, mainly electronics, as well as some of the early Alloytec issues, such as crap quality oil pressure senders, which leak and set off the engine service light.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Ecotec by fair, VZ had their fair share of issues also. Timing Chains etc.