Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Just wondering, when the Ecotec was released in the VS models , if owners of the old 3.8 unit were wary of upgrading to the newer engine , as it at that stage would have been untested on the whole as it was different to the Buick motor , much like the debate between the Ecotec and the Alloytec .
On a side note , any car regardless of make , if it has a dodgy service history it would be playing a game of Russian Roulette , doesn't matter if its a Alloytec , Ecotec , or a straight six Ford .

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just wondering, when the Ecotec was released in the VS models , if owners of the old 3.8 unit were wary of upgrading to the newer engine , as it at that stage would have been untested on the whole as it was different to the Buick motor , much like the debate between the Ecotec and the Alloytec .
On a side note , any car regardless of make , if it has a dodgy service history it would be playing a game of Russian Roulette , doesn't matter if its a Alloytec , Ecotec , or a straight six Ford .

No doubt, but that said it was a complete modernisation of an older engine, not a completely new build, I dare say most folk would have just assumed it was the 3.8 they've always known and loved. They really got the L27 polished off with the L36.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
I would say Ecotec just on the soul fact that an Alloytec sounds like someone farting with their mouth into an empty baked bean can....
But hey, that's just me...

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
The timing chain issues on the early Alloytec would turn me off, unless you have deep pockets to fix the problem if it occurs, reading this forum and other Holden forums it was a pretty common and expensive issue on the VZ and early VE Alloytec engines. Google stretched timing chains on Alloytec engines.

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
Ecotec - Cheaper option for a first car, much easier on the wallet when servicing and exterior is basically the same.

dylan13n

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII
just like everyone says VY = better model. alloy tech is a **** engine. I sell auto parts and I have sold so many internals for those engines it's rediculous . you can drive an echo tech 400,000km without ever taking a head off 9/10 times. Which seems strange if you ever do pull one. Apart they look piss weak inside but they last forever. Alloy techs rev easier but have a weakness in the / timing chain / camshaft area. and being all alloy will be much less forgiving if you ever overheat it or use incorrect coolant etc. That said I did enjoy thrashing the vz sv6 paddle shifts when they came out but I wouldn't own one!.
You can get a prob get a calais or statesman for 10k mate with a nice echo tech engine that will look after you for years.