Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EcoTec or AlloyTec?

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah like said before me, the aloytec was introduced in the vz commodore range, the vs, vt, vx and the vy have the ecotec motor, dont worry about getting the alloytec, it will cost ya the hard cash when you can have the vy with the ecotec cheaper and, only get if if you want the power, even then just get the vy and put on a better induction and there you go, vz power

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
MY12.5 VE SS-V Z Series Sportswagon
Stewart1000 said:
yeah like said before me, the aloytec was introduced in the vz commodore range, the vs, vt, vx and the vy have the ecotec motor, dont worry about getting the alloytec, it will cost ya the hard cash when you can have the vy with the ecotec cheaper and, only get if if you want the power, even then just get the vy and put on a better induction and there you go, vz power

As i said, i don't know alot about cars, so what do you mean by put on a better induction? You mean a better air filter or something?

Cheers

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
better induction would be a cai (cold air intake) it gives the engine more air basically > more air = more power + better economy, heres a website: www.ssinductions.com.au

as for auctions have a search around pickles, www.pickles.com.au (its a java based website so i cant give direct links to certain parts of the site) there is an auction house somewhere in melbourne

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Have been told ya cant bore the allytec and if ya get em to hot there a throw away engine any truth to these quotes or not anybody kno?

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Could be true Clutchy...I would suspect however that they use some sort of liners in the bores, so you can rebore them...I could be totally wrong however.
My BMW R65 bike has alloy barrels, which don't have liners...they are coated with a patented substance called Nikasil, and if you should ever be unlucky enough to, say, even lightly score a bore, they are indeed "throw away" items...and at BMW parts prices, that's something I don't like to think about...:bang:

One would hope that Holden realise that Australians generally like to keep thier cars for a while, and an engine should be rebuildable...:whistling