Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EcoTec or AlloyTec?

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
MY12.5 VE SS-V Z Series Sportswagon
Hey ppl, i'm lookin at purchasing a new car (well used, but new to me) and i'm trying to decide on a VY or VZ. I WOULD prefer to try out a new engine (ie: AlloyTec) which i've been told are August 2004 onwards, but obviously, the more younger the vehicle is, the more $$$ i'm lookin at. Basically what i'm asking here, anyone who HAS a vehicle with the new AlloyTec engine, and had a EcoTec in the past, what are the main differeneces you have noticed and more importantly, which is more economic when it comes to fuel consumption?

I'll also be lookin at gettin LPG for which ever i choose, so if that makes a difference, let me know.

Kind regards,
Exceler8r

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Drive them both and decide. Remember that a povo pack and an spack/SV6 have different gearing so when comparing try to keep the comparisons fair.

Jimboss

Reaction score
I thought the Alloytec's were no good for LPG conversions. Someone will be able to confirm or deny i'm sure.

Edit: i did a quick search, and it's the 190's which don't do LPG, the 175 does, just something to keep an eye on if you are definately going to convert.

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
Jimboss said:
I thought the Alloytec's were no good for LPG conversions. Someone will be able to confirm or deny i'm sure.

Edit: i did a quick search, and it's the 190's which don't do LPG, the 175 does, just something to keep an eye on if you are definately going to convert.

Thanks for the input. I know very little about cars, so what do you mean by 190 and 175? Can you confirm if a VYSV6 has the alloytec and can it have LPG fitted?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
there is 2 alloytec varients in the vz commodore the 175 (175kw) and the 190 (190 kw) (later model vz where rated at 172kw and 187kw after euro3 emissions control where brought in), the 175 was in the executives, acclaims, berlinas and ute/crewmans. the 190 was in the sv6, calais, statesman and caprice.

The alloytec is the newer more sophisticated engine and would be able to run lpg on the 175 only. If you like the tried and tested ecotec go with it, it will also definetly run lpg.

If i was to choose an engine i would go alloytec as it is a newer modern engine but would go with an ecotec if given the option.

As for money go around to a government auction house you could easily find and 04/05 plated vz with approx 30k - 60k kilometers for approx $18k to $25k

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
andyman said:
there is 2 alloytec varients in the vz commodore the 175 (175kw) and the 190 (190 kw) (later model vz where rated at 172kw and 187kw after euro3 emissions control where brought in), the 175 was in the executives, acclaims, berlinas and ute/crewmans. the 190 was in the sv6, calais, statesman and caprice.

The alloytec is the newer more sophisticated engine and would be able to run lpg on the 175 only. If you like the tried and tested ecotec go with it, it will also definetly run lpg.

If i was to choose an engine i would go alloytec as it is a newer modern engine but would go with an ecotec if given the option.

As for money go around to a government auction house you could easily find and 04/05 plated vz with approx 30k - 60k kilometers for approx $18k to $25k

Can you provide me with anymore details about these 'government auctions'? Where and how can i find them, do you have to have cash on the day, etc, etc.

Cheers,

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
By the way, can anyone please tell me EXACTLY what month & year, as well as which model brought out the first AlloyTec engine.

Cheers

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ive driven my uncles vz sv6 a couple of times and i gotta say i hate the fly-by-wire throttle cable, takes alot of getting used to! you dont think you goin anywhere so you give it more throttle then all of a sudden it starts to work.
but other than that the alloytec seems like a pretty nice engine, i still prefer mine though.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
andyman said:

The alloytec 190 stayed at 190kw, only the 175 went down after the Euro 3 emmissions. So after January 1st 2006, the engine powers were 172kw for the standard Alloytec, and 190kw still for the Alloytec 190.

The alloytec 190 did drop from 340NM of torque down to 335NM after January 1st as well. And the Adventra had a 188kw alloytec with 330NM of torque from January 1st.