Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec

ecotec or alloytec

• Total voters

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Factor in the latest Raptor blower tech and the Alloytec wins hands down.

$5k on the Eco = 180 rwkw.
$5.8k on the Alloy = 250 rwkw.

It'll cost another $2.5 on the Eco for a hybrid compressor and intercooling to attain 240 rwkw on a good day. That said in a car like a VS it's pretty savage.

Tim has a VZ just shy of 300 rwkw. That's full of win.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Factor in the latest Raptor blower tech and the Alloytec wins hands down.

$5k on the Eco = 180 rwkw.
$5.8k on the Alloy = 250 rwkw.

It'll cost another $2.5 on the Eco for a hybrid compressor and intercooling to attain 240 rwkw on a good day. That said in a car like a VS it's pretty savage.

Tim has a VZ just shy of 300 rwkw. That's full of win.

TBH, the early alloytec raptor kits didn't make anywhere that sort of power. It's only recently that the new raptor kits have started making good power. Since the new raptor blowers with billet impellers that flow substantially better.

The Reason is that now the raptor can keep up with the alloytec engines at the higher revs. The old raptor V with standard 10psi pulley was max'd out on a alloytec at the higher revs. there is a reason why Raptor stopped making those kits, simply because the didn't perform as well as issues with the early kits in relation to placement, piping and intercooling.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Well yeah, no offense to Tim, but I don't think it'd take a genius to figure that a blower designed for an old school Buick wouldn't be efficient on a modern ohc, 4 valve Alloytec.

Same would apply in reverse. Point is they're capitalizing on what this thing can do now, and it's way more than an Eco.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Has anybody tested the new raptor on an ecotec? I'm sure there numbers will come up as well.

I'm also not 100% on a couple of those dyno graphs that have been posted as the power runs were done in 2nd which will change the results a bit.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Maybe, that's not a bad idea, worth posting on his thread anyway, maybe Tim will send me a compressor to test ;-)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Unless it was a povo pack omega or ute it would probably have a 5 speed auto.

The thing is, the alloytec makes it's peak power a lot earlier than the ecotec (2800rpm Vs 3600rpm) due to that fancy intake manifold so in theory it should be a much livelier engine, yet in practice it doesn't seem to be when coupled to the same transmission as the ecotec.

The biggest improvement Holden made was the 5 and 6 speed transmissions coupled to the new engines.

I'm not saying the alloytec isn't a good engine, however for all the technology it has over the ecotec it wasn't the big step up that I would have expected it to be. And then you need to careful buying 2nd hand as the earlier alloytec engines do have issues with the timing chains stretching which is a very costly exercise if they do need to be replaced. I still think it was a mistake to loose the extra displacement the ecotec had.

This might help , see list of effected engines that are prone to timing stretch, open image , then click it again to enlarge .

Attachments

• Scan0002 (2).jpg
    Scan0002 (2).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 519

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Be interesting to see what Holden NZ says about it. I'm sure if you were the original owner you could probably get it done, however if it was on sold I'd be a bit more worried.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Not really , Iv'e the checked numbers against my own , and mines , one of the earlier 9.525mm chains , as it says its a random problem , but still a problem that might crop up , on 7.7 mm chains , which I believe were fitted as cost cutting measure , God knows why because they went back to the 9.525 mm chains when the issue reared its head .Iv'e been meaning to ask at my local dealer , if they have fixed any yet , and more importantly , what $$$$ .

nasaman

Nasa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY
Driving cars is one thing working on them is another thing. Drivers would probably favor the alloytec however mechanics would likely favor the ecotec.
I just pulled down an ecotec that was driven so hard No 2 piston was melting away. A few slides of the hone later and that cylinder was ready for a new pot.
Try that with an alloytec. They don't call them alloytec because they are made out of platinum you know. See how much you love alloytec when you feel a bolt in the block
stripping thread on the way out.

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
in your opinion whitch is better over all

for being reliable
and
powerfull

Reliable. Simple to work on and parts are cheap. Performance is good enough for what I need. Can break down in any town in Australia and get parts the same day, just about.

Id go ECOTEC.