Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec

ecotec or alloytec

• Total voters

Mickkoops

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive
I regularly drive a VS (ecotec) and a VZ calais (alloytec190) and the VZ is heaps smoother, and definately feels more powerful as well, although the ecotec feels better down low in the revs (which could be because the car is so light).
Never had a serious problem with either engine, but I would assume the newer alloytec would be more reliable and it is obviously more powerful
I vote alloytec overall, although I have never driven the 175kw version
Arent vz and vy the same body?? Why would the vy be lighter? Alloytech timing chain will stretch and get a rattle and eventually cause problems after about 100,000, ecos are way more reliable (Fact)

Mickkoops

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive
They alloytech is clearly a better motor, The only problem with it is that it's in a car about 1 ton too heavy for the motor so it makes them no faster than a VN P R S T X Y :p they are all about the same once in the car they came out in. A good VN V6 against a good VS V6 against a good VE V6, you wouldn't be able to split them over a 1/4 mile. But the VN would be in front at 100 :)
No there really not, alloytech will last half the time of an eco, maybe the alloy are faster but the timing chain will stretch and stuff up quickly

Mickkoops

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive
all im saying is you shouldnt have to be replacing seals on a vy ecotec that was maximum 3 years at that stage, my vz is now 3 years old and the aluminum block and box still look brand new,

ive serviced heaps of ecotecs of various ages and i cant say ive ssen one yet that hasnt not got a leak or a weep
All im sayin is you shouldnt have to replace a timing chain after 100,000, ive had a vs and its done over 300,000 and havent replaced any seals, dose not leak a drop

Mickkoops

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive
All im sayin is you shouldnt have to replace a timing chain after 100,000, ive had a vs and its done over 300,000 and havent replaced any seals, dose not leak a drop
Alloy tec are crap do ya research

uncle remus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 3.8 executive vy
1st .car eh station wagon grey motor . .2nd belmont straight 6 red motor... 3rd kingswood straight 6 red . 4th VH straight 6... .5th vc straight 6 ...6th VP 3.8 ...7th vs 3.8 ....8th vy 3.8 last of ...thats it .next car will be a clubsport .must say though love the 3.8s easy to work on good old american steel.holdens forever... #£#@# the ford family.

Last edited:

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Alloy tec are crap do ya research

Just sold an Alloytec WM with 260k kms on the clock. Only minor cold-start rattle, no leaks -no timing chain replacement anywhere in its history. Made my big-arse Statesman hustle in traffic. Smoother than any VN-VP or Ecotec V6 I've ever owned. The problems with the Alloytec are well documented, however. The torque curve isn't as flat as the previous V6s and doesn't come on as strong earlier in the rev range. The other issues relating to stretched timing chains and sludging come down to poor servicing generally and a sub-par PCV design, both easily rectified. Even the bad batch of chains only afflicted late '06 and '07 models. Not a perfect engine but to say they are crap shows you're ignorant.

uncle remus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 3.8 executive vy
1992 VP we put freeflows on it 3.8 went like a hammer .until got teeboned by a slightly pissed .(lady) spun when hit .gunned the fu*k out of her Missed 4 cars .wife was saved by that heavy 3.8 old american motor.next car was a 1997 VS 3.8 nice car went though a gearbox though after letting my (mate) and his missus borrow it.back in NZ .we've got the last 3.8 before the changeover.2004 VY.put some clubsport wheels on it.magnatec .am just replacing anything that looks tired.nice as .so I'm sticking to the American heavy motor.I could be a bit put off by the bad review's of the 3.6 car sales guys saying don't touch them.but they're dodgy dudes (camels bits) so i am staying safe and happy tikitouring in the old 3.8.cheers.

HBDVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy lumina HBD V6 SC
Eco is simple Alloy tech a little more work both are good in their own way.

leov9406

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore evoke wagon
not sure what the difference is......i know the ecotec are in the commodores, but what is alloytec? sorry if it sounds like a stupid question

The alloytec is the V6 that replaced the Ecotec from around VZ onwards