Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec

ecotec or alloytec

• Total voters

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
In my opinion I like the ecotec more but as said above both are great in their own ways.

YEA.355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 355, VP BERLINA, KENWORTH 408
Alloytec sound like absolute crap
I'm a v8 man but +1 for ecotec

Thymelord

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute 2000 SIII, wh v8 02 ls1, vy v6 Calais 03
Ecotec's will be lasting longer by the way things seem to be going but i feel the allys are starting to expose themselves regarding there hardiness. I like the absolute ease of pulling apart an eco, parts can be literally just found in the bush or ebay for cents. Il probably edit this to say ecos are shxt after the turbo is on... +1 ecotec

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
ecotec don't "stretch" timing chains, don't fry alternators (and need to take the wheel and inner guard off to replace them), don't fry coils and coil wiring all the damn time, and don't need an intake gasket set to service the spark plugs.

Reactions: Lex

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I voted alloytec with the caveat of it not being one of the first ones with timing chain issues. I’ve not had any problems with mine with 320,000kms on the clock (had the car since 50,000kms). The alloytec is miles ahead in fuel economy and power then the ecotec.

The only Commodore 6 cylinder I would rate higher is the Buick 3800 in the series one VN Commodore. That was basically a V8 engine just with two cylinders removed! Massive torque from basically idle and good fuel economy (the light VN body probably helped in that regard). Taking off up a hill in the wet without spinning the wheels was next to impossible. It took until the alloytec in the VE Commodore to beat the VN series one time down the quarter mile!

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
The only Commodore 6 cylinder I would rate higher is the Buick 3800 in the series one VN Commodore. That was basically a V8 engine just with two cylinders removed! Massive torque from basically idle and good fuel economy (the light VN body probably helped in that regard). Taking off up a hill in the wet without spinning the wheels was next to impossible. It took until the alloytec in the VE Commodore to beat the VN series one time down the quarter mile!

All very true. The only downside of the early VN V6 was its NVH issues, but in every other area it was much better than the Nissan 3.0 RB it replaced in the VL. It even weighed less!

troy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6, 04 berlina, 07 crewman
alloy tecs are better on looks, fuel and performance. just change the oils more often and use good quality oil.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
For reliability: Ecotec- Is also a fast engine

For power: Alloytec- Is reliable if you take care of it

The thing that lets these engines down is the 4 speed auto which isn't very great.

Personally, I chose Ecotec for the better reliability and the odd ball combination of a supercharger on some models (They're pretty cool and underrated when modded!)

Though I do prefer a V8 Holden!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I know I'm about to piss a lot of P platers/bogans off whose mates think their car sounds "killa" just because it's loud

Ecotec - Has the exhaust note of me after a bad curry.

Alloytec - Has teh exhaust note of my entire family after a bad curry.

Last edited: