Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Ecotec Power steering Pump Replacement

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
This is a How to on changing a Power steering pump on a VY Ecotec.
Note i am no mechanic, Anything you attempt your self i will NOT be responsible for, this is just a guide to help you through the process & Give you a idea whats involved.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/read-before-attempting-any-below.3906

What you need.
New Power steering Pump.
Dex lll Transmission oil
New O Ring. Not sure on the size i had a pile laying around.
Socket set
Spanner set.
Screw Drivers for Hose Clamps.

Here we go.

Open Bonnet

Find Power steering pump here.
thumb_IMG_0152_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0152_1024.jpg" alt="thumb_IMG_0152_1024" border="0">

Loosen Bolts for the Pump pulley plate.
thumb_IMG_0153_1024.jpg

Remove Belt Shown Here.
thumb_IMG_0154_1024.jpg

Now Remove Bolts & Pulley Plate.
thumb_IMG_0155_1024.jpg

Here is the Power steering pump, Ewwies
thumb_IMG_0157_1024.jpg

Loosen Lower pressure Hose Clamp
thumb_IMG_0158_1024.jpg

Have a Container to catch the fluid shown here.
thumb_IMG_0160_1024.jpg

Now Pull the hose off and drain fluid.
thumb_IMG_0161_1024.jpg

Now Remove the 2 Mounting bolts shown here. Take note they are both different
thumb_IMG_0162_1024.jpg

Im Not sure if its possible to do this on other ecotecs, But move the Pump to the Side, Here you will find the High Pressure hose.
Word of warning though, This was a ultra B***H hose to remove, Its extremely tight ! I lost count on the amount of (- F(*#$*^%*(&$@*&)()%#!!!! - ) that were involved. In the End i had to get my father in-law to help, even then took us a good hour with power bars and vice grips. You may need to remove the Top radiator hose to give you more space.
thumb_IMG_0163_1024.jpg

Now after having a yelling match at the car, The Hose Is now removed, Throw it and yell some more.

Now here is your new PS Pump, Mmmm NEW!
Replace the O-Ring on the high pressure hose.
Screw the high pressure Hose into new Pump, Make sure its tight !
thumb_IMG_0164_1024.jpg

Now Mount the Pump back on. Replacing the 2 bolts.

thumb_IMG_0165_1024.jpg

Fill the Power steering pump up with fluid as much as possible.
Before Connecting the Lower pressure hose, Hold your finger over the Hose, Then fill the hose with fluid by pouring fluid into the fluid tank,Now quickly push it on to the pump, i did this to help remove air from the hose. Now clamp the hose on.

The Manual says to jack the front of the car up and turn the wheels left to right to help bleed the system, i did not have mine at the time, So i just turned the pump by hand for a good 10 mins to help push some air out. You will see some bubbles in the fluid tank.

Now the Pump is in, & All Hoses are connected, Attatch the pulley plate, Hand tighten bolts, replace belt. Now torque up the pulley plate bolts.
Make sure everything is connected, Checked 3 times to be sure.

thumb_IMG_0166_1024.jpg

Start the car for about 5 seconds then switch it off again. the fluid will foam, so let it sit 10 minutes, now top the fluid back up.
Start the car again for about 10-20 seconds while watching the fluid to make sure it dont run dry.
Allow to sit for another 10 mins, Top up again if needed.

You have now changed your Power steering pump, Now FFS go have a beer !

Hope this helps. Leave notes or tips if you want to

Cheers

Last edited:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
With the high pressure line, i found it much easier to loosen whilst the pump is still bolted up. Also handy if you have pipe spanner to avoid rounding the nut, but yes they can be a pain!

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yeah we tried it while the pump was still on it, still could not get it, So had a open spanner on the Pump, and vice grips on the hose nut, pushing in opposite directions, then finally CRACK and let go

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Hi guys I need to do the return hose.
If I put the new hose on straight away at the bottom I should not get any air in the system does that sound right?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Will probably get air in the system. Mate all you have to do to bleed the system is turn the steering wheel from side-to-side all the way a few times.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thanks for that.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I always draw a picture of the belt path before I take it off. Took me 45min to get my ecotec one back on one time. Check the condition of belt and idler/tensioner bearings whenever you have the belt of and replace if required. The pulleys should spin quietly and not have play.

Good to also note that as the air works it's way out of the system your new pump may be noisy for a week or so.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
With the high pressure line, i found it much easier to loosen whilst the pump is still bolted up. Also handy if you have pipe spanner to avoid rounding the nut, but yes they can be a pain!

I to leave the pump mounted when loosening the high pressure line. I find it easier if you use 2 spanners, one on the big nut and one on the small one, set them so that you can get your hand(s) around both at the same time and then squeeze the spanners together (like you are using scissors).

I always draw a picture of the belt path before I take it off. Took me 45min to get my ecotec one back on one time. Check the condition of belt and idler/tensioner bearings whenever you have the belt of and replace if required. The pulleys should spin quietly and not have play.

Good to also note that as the air works it's way out of the system your new pump may be noisy for a week or so.

your owners manual should have a diagram of the serpentine belt routing.

If you raise the vehicle then you can bleed the system easier by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock as there is no load, much better for the pump and rack, also much easier to monitor fluid levels this way.

Last edited:

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Again, Tried it with the pump on, could not get it, so removed it and was the only way. and had 2 big breaker bars pushing opposite ways and still took vain popping force lol could not get enough power on to the pump since its so low and in a tight spot to get power bars in.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
System should bleed itself out. It not, jack up the front and turn side to side. Then with car on the ground, i found i drive forward and lock it up, as the tyre tread dont like being turned to much on the spot hehe.