Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Question

Burniehoon

VR 4 Life
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Evoke
Hey all i have a 2001 VX Commodore and I'm looking to do a few things to her in the near future but I've been doing some research and it seems to me a good starting poin would be a cold air intake and a 12mm plenum spacer both from Mace for around 400 delivered.
So one is this a good price for the both
Two will I see and gain from these two mods eg economy response and power
Three do they work well together or am I mssing something?

Would love some imput to help make my descision thanks guys.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
you wont get any noticeable gains from these.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
you wont get any noticeable gains from these.
are you on drugs?

i put a 12mm spacer on my wifes VX. i made the mistake of mismatching a VS spacer onto the VX mani, so had a nasty air leak. but once i sealed it up, i had a noticable gain in top end pull and minor, but a small improvement in fuel economy.

the only other thing the car has on is 2.5inch cat back exhaust. so IMO a cold air intake including something like a K+N filter or Lukey polyfilter(instead of paper) would certainly be a noticable package.

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo Stroked 4.2LT VT Berlina
the first thing i bought from mace was the cold air intake, and the second thing i bought was the spacers LOL! i noticed a good difference in both, gained 10rwkw?? something around there. it depends on the car i think. Some people say it dosent work but i beg to differ...

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
as we know, the spacer also works as an insulator, helping to reduce heat soak. and cooler air as we know, has more oxygen per gram meaning more bang. so even if its only there for the economy factor, anything added to the spacer, like rockers/extractors ect, will be amplified in its effect on power output.

so my opinion, spacer and CAI are worth it as a good starting point.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Umm. Yeah. Well, insulating benefits? You sure? Alot of people claim that the plenum stays pretty cool even after 1hour of driving with the manifold spacer in. I touched my Plenum and burnt my hand. The effects that I noticed from the spacers was the extension of the torque range, meaning it pulled harder lower in the RPM.

Completely up to you what you spend your money on, but don't expect much for the $$ spent.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
Umm. Yeah. Well, insulating benefits? You sure? Alot of people claim that the plenum stays pretty cool even after 1hour of driving with the manifold spacer in.

yes, in my go, it stayed quite cool. but in saying that, i have removed the cover. even just removing the cover made the engine run a whole notch on the guage cooler...

without the spacer, it gets hot as. with it, i could touch the lid, yes it was still hot, but i coudl touch it compared to burning hot without it. at the end of the day, i research before buying anything. so its up to the OP to do some searching.
im sure that a single search on plenum spacer could yeild lots of different results to read.

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
Don't go sticking any spacers on unless your fitting a larger throttle body. Fitting the spacer increases the volume of air that the plenum can hold. When you boot it, it will take longer for your plenum to fill up with air. Fitting a plenum spacer on its own will make your car less responsive to drive.

Burniehoon

VR 4 Life
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Evoke
Don't go sticking any spacers on unless your fitting a larger throttle body. Fitting the spacer increases the volume of air that the plenum can hold. When you boot it, it will take longer for your plenum to fill up with air. Fitting a plenum spacer on its own will make your car less responsive to drive.

Has anyone else had this issue?