Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec - Starter motor issues after jump start

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Had a few drinks with the boys last night, and my car was dedicated stereo. A set of jumper leads live in the boot so I wasn't concerned about a flat battery. When morning rolled around, I hooked a little suzuki ute up with the leads and attempted to turn it over (Ute was still running). It got maybe one revolution in and refused to go any further, sounding like the battery was dead. So I got back out to check the Jump leads were connected properly, and they were. I got my mate to hold the suzuki at half throttle so the alternator would put out a bit more, and tried again. Same thing, struggled to turn over once. So we just left them connected for maybe 90 seconds, to charge the battery up a bit in my car. When I attempted to start it again, it succeeded, but as soon as the engine fired and picked up revs, a loud screeching noise came from the engine bay, followed by a moderately loud clicking or knocking noise.

I've been scratching my head all day trying to figure out what it was before I posted up here, And it just clicked. I knew all along it was the belt making the screeching noise, and I've come to the conclusion that it's the starter motor. If you give the accelerator a punch, bring it up to 3krpm, the screeching and knocking both stop and remain stopped. But if you attempt to start the car again with it still running, the noises return. So it's like the starter motor is still running even after the engine sparks and runs. Could the jump start have caused this? What can I look at to fix it?

Or; Failing both of those, what's a new starter motor going to cost me, and how hard is it to put in?

Thanks for your help,
Fonzie :thumbsup:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds more like the harmonic balancer is wobbling...this could have been on the verge of failing when the extra load put on it by the alternator working flat strap has loaded it enough for the rubber to shear.

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
The problem is with the car that was jumped... not the donor.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The problem is with the car that was jumped... not the donor.

Yup - that's the one I'm talking about too - I suggested it could be the harmonic balancer knocking and the alternator screeching. (unless I've misinterpreted your post!) :smoking:

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I think you may have... The alternator on my car isn't even in play here. When i crank the car from off, once its picks up rpm something in the bay squeals. I'm thinking it's the starter motor still spinning.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but is the pulley on the starter motor somehow supposed to disengage it from the actual electric motor? Some form of one way clutch system or something. Could that be sticking on, until I bring the revs up over idle?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I got a new starter motor in mine but my ignistion (spelling) barrel was tight and it was still engaging after starting up so I have to be carefull when I start it and let go of the key and everything is ok.