Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec / Supercharger belt replacement

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Hi,

Just wondering who of you have an ecotec OR an L67 (supercharged ecotec basically) with air conditioning. Was wondering if anyone has purchased a belt and used it succesfully to bypass the air condititoning compressor.

I've had a look at the diagrams of the main drive belt in the L67 and it's the same as the ecotec. Except with an extra belt for the supercharger of course. Upon studying i found that there is a way to bypass the a/c compressor by removing that pulley in the link. Meaning as the belt comes off the harmonic balancer (going counter clockwise) it skims the first idler pulley and then goes around the idler pulley above it and all the rest is as normal.

This should give power returns up to 20%, however just wondering if anyone has done this and if so, what length belt did you use? And before someone without the airconditioning compressor posts that extra idler pulley probably changes the length meaning your size belts will not work (85% sure there).

never stock l67 ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy spac ute l67
iv successfully done this i used a belf off a Lexus the number was 6pk2230 witch was a perfect fit
Hi,

Just wondering who of you have an ecotec OR an L67 (supercharged ecotec basically) with air conditioning. Was wondering if anyone has purchased a belt and used it succesfully to bypass the air condititoning compressor.

I've had a look at the diagrams of the main drive belt in the L67 and it's the same as the ecotec. Except with an extra belt for the supercharger of course. Upon studying i found that there is a way to bypass the a/c compressor by removing that pulley in the link. Meaning as the belt comes off the harmonic balancer (going counter clockwise) it skims the first idler pulley and then goes around the idler pulley above it and all the rest is as normal.

This should give power returns up to 20%, however just wondering if anyone has done this and if so, what length belt did you use? And before someone without the airconditioning compressor posts that extra idler pulley probably changes the length meaning your size belts will not work (85% sure there).

never stock l67 ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy spac ute l67

Attachments

• V6 Belt Diagram.jpg
    V6 Belt Diagram.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 10,729