Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec swap

Doing a bit of a back yard bulid swaping a ecotec in my vl wats the go on that vs to vn kframe, cust

• Wiring help

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gearbox mounting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Why would anyone want to replace an RB30 with an Ecotech which is much older technology ???

RB30's are killer engines and far superior to any Buik based product.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Why would anyone want to replace an RB30 with an Ecotech which is much older technology ???

RB30's are killer engines and far superior to any Buik based product.

N/A for N/A, EFI and head design on the Ecotec is way better than the single cam jam, not to mention more displacement/power/torque and probably more fuel efficient. Ecotec is purely CAS based and doesn't have a dizzy either, also got a much more tunable factory ECU. Sure, it's got push rods but an RB30 is only a 2 valve motor as well and they probably weigh about the same. Only thing the 30 has got going for it is ET with lower compression, in which case, yes, the RB30 is a much better base for power. It's way more obvious with a 5 speed behind them instead of a slush box.

Big bonus though is that you can buy an Ecotec plentifully/cheaply from 2004ish vs. an RB30 from 1988.

VN-VS K-frame will bolt into the VL. Use the VL knuckles and uprights as the VN-VS ones are likely to have different ackerman. Will probably have to make up a transmission mount. If the tailshaft doesn't fit try swapping the front and rear halves between the two. Easiest way to get around security is to get a mail order memcal with VATS turned off, will probably cost you a hundred or so but is worth it. The1 and Delcowizzid on this forum can do it for you, or you can got to the PCMHacking forums.

Last edited:

Kane308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl
vs-lover taking the rb motor out to rebuild it, so want some fun as I do the rebuild the car is really far gone so it's a long way from what I want it to be, if it wasn't that bad then yes I wouldnt swap it but it's been sitting in a paddock for more then ten years and I'm guessing u know what that does to a car after awhile. I did try an get the motor running, it was cranking over but not starting an if u seen the motor an the state it was in u would know y.

Kane308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl
_R_J_K

Thank u for that gives me a bit of a head start from where I'm now. When I get to the wiring an more tricky part I might give u a msg but cheers for that helps me out a lot