Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec to L67 swap

Grigosgarage

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Ute
Hey Guys, new to Just commodores not sure if doing this right but here I am anyway!

I am sure the question has been asked before but I am about to start motor swapping my 2002 VY commodore ute. My ute came out factory with a getrag gearbox, paired up with the ecotec 3.8L V6 motor. Ecotec is getting a bit tired and I have found a complete L67 with less k's on it and am keen on a conversion. I have a L67 loom to suit a manual conversion for the new motor. Is it as straight forward as fiddling around with the Bell Housing and Clutch (I think I recall crank being different on L67, have a spigot bush there but not sure if ecotec run dowels or not haven't pulled apart yet) , running the new loom and changing the radiator hoses to accommodate supercharger and other belts? Or am I way off the ball park here and there is a lot more to it?? By the looks of things all engine mounts etc are the same. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers guys,
Angus

H

harrop.senator

You're pretty close.

The dowels are necessary for high , high torque or bulk clutch kicks. Not to bad if used reasonably and quite stock.

You'll need to change the spigot bush to manual.

You'll need a smf and hd clutch and to shadow balance it to the l67 flywheel.

You need to change the fuel pump.

Rest is bolt in really if have a harness.

Grigosgarage

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Ute
You're pretty close.

The dowels are necessary for high , high torque or bulk clutch kicks. Not to bad if used reasonably and quite stock.

You'll need to change the spigot bush to manual.

You'll need a smf and hd clutch and to shadow balance it to the l67 flywheel.

You need to change the fuel pump.

Rest is bolt in really if have a harness.
Thanks mate, glad to know I’m on the right track. Is the standard L67 fuel pump the way to go? Or do I go aftermarket? Cheers

H

harrop.senator

Stock ones alright with the proper computer set up for it. I think you have to change the burn on the memcal for aftermarket as stock l67 is two speed. I think when it comes on boost it just sends more voltage to it. You might have issues with the fuel reg when running bigger bump and the second speed feed being activated.

May not do anything wrong and someone else will chime in! One of mine has a 255 Walbro fitted the other has a 460 Walbro. 460 blew my stock reg in a couple weeks.