Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec to VN/VP

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
what is the point of puttin a newer v6 into a car. why i dont reli c the point

Because the early V6 makes 105rwkw with a good tune and the ectoec makes 120 with a good tune :) plus gains more with other mods. You need to spend alot of money to make 120 rwkw from the early V6, enough to buy several ecotecs

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
^ yep the ecotec is the v6 from vs to vy
good one foamy ya beat me to it lol

What are you doing here at the same time man, I'm going to bed: P, Pacemaker installage tomorrow :S fun times I expect, grrrrrrr

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
nightfill night off body clock wraped around a power pole.....

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Im praying my motor isnt shagged, took it in yesty to get a new auto installed, and also to have a rattle checked... rattle as if a con rod was slapping the barrel...rattle ehehe. I got a V6 eco 130ks i can buy for 500 bucks though if its shagged. Rattle ended up being a mixture of 2 problems harmonic balancer and cam tensioner or something similar.

Last edited:

VPCalais38

VP Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP V6 Calais Series II
I recently scored a VS Executive for $800 complete.

Car has done 130,000 K's and owned from brand new by a friends parents.
The car has been in a front end accident and wasnt insured so his olds just want a bit of cash out of it. Motor etc is fine (no accident damage).

My VP SII engine is shagged. It broke a pushrod over a year ago and now when I get her warm (over half) the engine misses like a b*st*rd due to a dodgy valve/guide.

I was going to fit the Ecotec, computer and box into my VP, but after some reading I dont know wether its worth it now.

I am guessing that ideally I would need to fit the VS dash and cluster into my VP to get everything working correctly?

I read somewhere that the ecotec's had a lean cruise mode in the computer which is partly why they get better fuel economy. I would like to have this feature if I do the conversion.

Any ideas on how to get it all going properly ?

Maybe get an Eeprom flasher and flash my standard VP Calais memcal with a VS one ?

Sorry I have probably missed something in previous posts/threads. Its late and I pick up the VS tomorrow so want to be armed with the necessary info before I waste my time.

aries75au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1
VS memcals are 128k bigger than a VN/VP so you won't be able to do that. from what I'm learning about memcals I think you'd need to speak with green foam or hakhawk as I think you can modify the bin file to include this in the 808 memcal

kovacsa

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
hozy please help i read about you istalling a ecotec in your VP , i tryed to do what you did to a VR 1995 ,i did as you said but am having bad gear change in auto hold down in every gear should it be the same for VP as VR please help thanks George

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
Sorry to bring it up, but this should be stickied =DDDDDDD

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
This issue you will have in running the VS throttle body / TPS is that the TPS wires need to be reversed as they open in the other direction compared to the VN/P/R that was kovacsa's problem but he's been cruising in ecotec land for months now on the standard VR Auto ecu and tune. Anyway it's the cheapest way to increase the performance of a VN/P so it's worth the swap. You can tune a stock eco on the VR code to 120rwkw and that's more than you will get with full bolt ons on the original V6