Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec to VN/VP

vy-calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais manual and a supercharged vn manual
just wondering if u could help me out, i put a ecotec and getrag into my vn and i used all the vs loom and ecu, but the 8 pin plug near the ecu that goes across to the drivers side is different and colours dont match, was just wondering if you knew what wires had to be joined or re run else where? any help would be greatly appreciated

luke450

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 manual.vz v6.vx v6
hi i have a vn 5speed and want to put a vx engine in it i have a complete vx but its auto will it work on the man box

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6

vy-calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais manual and a supercharged vn manual
i have recently put a vs s3 motor and gear box into my vn i kept all the vs loom and manual computer, everything has been going along great untill i ran into a little wiring issue, there is a plug under the dash that goes from the loom over the driver side of the car and the plugs are different and colours dont match, i cant find anything on the net to help me out so i was hoping i could find some help here on what wires to join and if someone has does that before???

cheers

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
My Ecotec engine arrived today. its a 04 VY engine with 89,000 on the clock. looked over it very carefully, has checked out ok.

have a VS manual ecu from a VS that was fitted from factory with a T5.

now my question is? will the VS ECU have different injector PWM calibrations to what VT -VY would as I assume early VS used EV1 type injectors while VT onwards use EV6? is that correct? 14lb vs 19lb injectors?

can anyone confirm the injectors are compatible or will the VS ecu need remapping for the possibly different flow characteristics?

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
Have a few things i want to ask about the ecotec in VN/VP from what i understand you use the vn k frame vn mounts vn gearbox and vn loom and only change the motor and exhaust system is this right.

How do i go with rego dose it need a mod plate/engineering in VIC?

Is there anything else that has to be changed?

Any info would be good im looking into doing this to a VN or VP for my Ps soon.

this is a good question actually. I talked to an engineer about the vicroads "modified vehicle guide lines" about the " 20% or less power/capacity increase from the original engine" rule stated in the documents which this conversion falls into that category, should be all good for rego and no engineering cert required if the engine management from the donor engine is used. Ie. must be the original or original type of system used on that ecotec model car it came from. So that means you need the VS loom, ECU, exhaust and appropriate parts if it was sourced from VS and you should be right with having it signed off.

As for using VN-VP system with ecotec, it may need proper tuning to meet emissions as I was told ($3k apparently of the testing, ouch!) This is the general info the engineer gave me but didn't go into detail as I would have needed to have a consultation with him, which I will when I get to that point.

I also should state that each engineer might handle this differently. I know with the VW scene there is a lot of stuff that gets signed off that really dodgy and shouldn't be.

Kevdogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp calais
Hi everyone I am considering doing an ecotec and manual conversion at the same time to my vp Calais.. I am buying a vs manual so would it be easiest to use all the vs stuff like the wiring and ECU? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
This issue you will have in running the VS throttle body / TPS is that the TPS wires need to be reversed as they open in the other direction compared to the VN/P/R that was kovacsa's problem but he's been cruising in ecotec land for months now on the standard VR Auto ecu and tune. Anyway it's the cheapest way to increase the performance of a VN/P so it's worth the swap. You can tune a stock eco on the VR code to 120rwkw and that's more than you will get with full bolt ons on the original V6

which two wires do i need to switch? I am looking and there are three black, grey and blue. I am assuming black is earth so i am thinking its the grey and blue.

EDIT- i tried swapping the grey and blue around, it gave an intermittant mil. I then soldered the joins and it works good now.

Cheers Shane

Last edited: